History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coverham Abbey House

A Grade II Listed Building in Coverham with Agglethorpe, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2729 / 54°16'22"N

Longitude: -1.8389 / 1°50'19"W

OS Eastings: 410589

OS Northings: 486370

OS Grid: SE105863

Mapcode National: GBR HML1.P1

Mapcode Global: WHC6X.QVJQ

Entry Name: Coverham Abbey House

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Last Amended: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318563

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321762

Location: Coverham with Agglethorpe, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Coverham with Agglethorpe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Middleham

Listing Text

SE 18 NW COVERHAM WITH AGGLETHORPE COVERHAM ABBEY

10/13 Coverham Abbey House
13/2/67 (Formerly listed as Abbey House)

GV II


House. C16 and late C18 - early C19. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings,
stone slate roof. 2-storeys, 5 bays. L-shaped plan. South front: late
C18 - early C19 range: part-glazed 4-panel door below fanlight in Doric
doorcase with open pediment, tall entablatures and bases. Sash windows with
glazing bars in projecting ashlar surrounds, with tripartite window,
surmounted by cyma recta drip mould, above door. Shaped kneelers, ashlar
copings; ashlar end stacks, in poor condition at time of resurvey. Older
range at rear to left: roughcast rubble, stone slate roof, 2 lower storeys,
windows in west elevation incorporating C16 stonework. East return of main
house: lengthy medieval Latin inscription referring to the completion of a
rebuilding project in 1508, flanked by figures of Christ in Majesty on the
left, and an abbot on the right, perhaps representing the seal of the abbey.
Above are the letters "IHC" surmounted by a coronet, with an eagle to the
left, and a capital letter "A" on the right, for John Askew, abbot 1488 -
1509. Interior: Adam-style fireplaces, friezes and cornices in the front
range.


Listing NGR: SE1059086369

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.