This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2962 / 54°17'46"N
Longitude: -1.7906 / 1°47'26"W
OS Eastings: 413727
OS Northings: 488973
OS Grid: SE137889
Mapcode National: GBR HLYR.4P
Mapcode Global: WHC6Y.G8KT
Entry Name: Sebastopol Cross and Base, Approximately 3 Metres to East of Vestry of Church of St Micheal
Listing Date: 25 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321721
Location: Spennithorne, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Spennithorne
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 18 NW SPENNITHORNE MAIN STREET
3/112 Sebastopol Cross and
3 metres to east of
Vestry of Church of
Memorial. Mid C19 and earlier. Ashlar and wrought iron. Octagonal stone
base of 5 steps surmounted by Sebastopol Cross. Globe supporting cross.
Arms of cross perforated, and terminating in quatrefoils. 3 spikes in each
angle between arms of cross. Enclosed within low rubble wall with ashlar
coping, supporting plain wrought-iron railings, the bars with hammered ends,
and fimbriated finials to corner posts. The cross was originally on the
roof of the chapel of the White Barracks in Sebastapol, which was taken
when the British forces sacked the town during the Crimean War in 1854. It
was brought back to Spennithorne by General Sir Charles van Straubenzee of
Spennithorne House, who commanded a Brigade in the Light Division during the
campaign. It is now mounted above the van Straubenzee family vault, and
their names are engraved on the sides of the stepped stone base.
Listing NGR: SE1372788973
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings