History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Temple Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in West Witton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2964 / 54°17'46"N

Longitude: -1.9497 / 1°56'58"W

OS Eastings: 403370

OS Northings: 488975

OS Grid: SE033889

Mapcode National: GBR GLTR.PM

Mapcode Global: WHB5R.08VN

Entry Name: Temple Farmhouse

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318583

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321877

Location: West Witton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: West Witton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
West Burton

Listing Text

SE 08 NW WEST WITTON TEMPLE

8/131 Temple Farmhouse
13/2/67

GV II


Farmhouse, divided into 2. Late C18, possibly older. Rubble, partly
rendered, stone slate roof. Irregular plan. 2 storeys. South front:
rendered. 3 bays, plus projecting cross-wing of 1 bay to left. Central 6-
panel door in ashlar eared architrave with splayed bases, pulvinated frieze
and modillioned pediment. 4-pane windows in stone surrounds. Hipped roof
to cross-wing. Stacks at ends and between bays 1 and 2 of main range. Rear
elevation to left of rear cross-wing: rubble; 6-panel door in deeply-
chamfered surround; segmental-arched cellar-hole; very tall landing window
with imposts and keystone. To right of rear cross-wing: rubble; on ground
floor, 4-pane sash window in ashlar architrave; on first-floor, casement
window in ashlar architrave. Left return of rear cross-wing: on ground
floor, 2-light double-chamfered mullion window; on first-floor, 4-pane sash
window in architrave. External stack, with corniced stack, to end right.
Right return of rear cross-wing: 6-panel door and above, tall window, both
in same ashlar architrave. At east end, an early C20 lean-to extension
having over doorway on ex-situ plaque with worn inscription recorded as
"WHOSO THAT COME TO THIS HOUS O LORD DO THEM PROTECT AND WHO DOTH PAS FORTH
OF THE SAME JESU THERE WAYE DERECT" with the initials of Peter Atkinson and
his wife and the date 1608. Interior: in kitchen, late C18-early C19
tripartite fireplace. VCH i, pp. 286-287; H. Speight Romantic Richmondshire
(1897), p. 425; M. Hartley and J. Ingilby, The Yorkshire Dales (1974),
p. 214.


Listing NGR: SE0337088975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.