This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0915 / 51°5'29"N
Longitude: -2.2674 / 2°16'2"W
OS Eastings: 381366
OS Northings: 132498
OS Grid: ST813324
Mapcode National: GBR 0V3.HK2
Mapcode Global: FRA 6647.GH1
Entry Name: Methodist Church
Listing Date: 7 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320184
Location: Mere, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Mere
Built-Up Area: Mere
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Mere St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8032-8132 MERE NORTH STREET
6/55 Methodist Church
Methodist Church. 1846, schoolroom 1874, interior modifications late C19.
Rock-faced coursed and squared limestone, Welsh slate roof; schoolroom plain
tile roof. Plain square chapel with gabled front to raised coping; schoolroom
at lower level added at north end. Front is two storeys, 3 windows; ground flor
has two small arched lights flanking central pair of plank doors under fanlight;
first floor has 3 lofty arched lights, all windows with central bar, hori-
zontals, and margin bars in concentric flush voussoirs and single set-back.
Door is in recessed 'orders' with impost block. Over centre top window a small
panel 'Methodist Church 1846'. Slight offset plinth, mid string, coped gable
with frieze band; at two-front corners clasp buttresses with two offsets. Sides
have two lofty arched lights similar to front. Schoolroom has central arched
door flanked by arched lights, and in north gable end a large Venetian window,
all these with leading. Interior: has panelled gallery on two very slender
cast-iron columns, pitch-pine pews, elaborate central reading desk, pulpit left,
organ right. A simple but unaltered chapel.
Listing NGR: ST8136632498
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings