This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9654 / 50°57'55"N
Longitude: -2.068 / 2°4'4"W
OS Eastings: 395323
OS Northings: 118438
OS Grid: ST953184
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZL.D02
Mapcode Global: FRA 66KK.G5P
Entry Name: Rushmore House
Listing Date: 27 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318658
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320283
Location: Berwick St. John, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Berwick St. John
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Berwick St John St John
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 91 NE BERWICK ST. JOHN RUSHMORE PARK
9/57 Rushmore House
Country house, now Sandroyd School. Early C19, remodelled and
extended c1880, for General Pitt-Rivers, by Philip Webb. Limestone
ashlar, Welsh slate hipped roofs, ashlar stacks. House consists
of early C19 range with larger late Cl9 range attached to south.
2-storey 11-window front, 3 bays to left are late C19 facade
fronting earlier build. Flat-roofed late C19 porch to left of
centre has Ionic columns with banded vermiculation and angular
volutes, and entablature, double 6-panelled doors and fanlight, to
left are 3 tall casements with keystones, centre with eared
architrave, to right is 1 casement, 2-storey canted bay with
casements, 2 blind windows to right. First floor has 3 tall
casements with moulded architraves and segmental or triangular
pediments, over door are 2 casements, to right is canted bay and 2
casements and 1 blind window. Modillioned cornice and balustraded
parapet to right, panelled parapet to left. Four pedimented
dormers. Early C19 three-storey range to left is rendered with
four 12-pane sashes and plat bands, shallow pitched hipped roof.
Right return is 2-storey, 9-window garden front with flanking 2-
storey canted bays with casements in moulded architraves with
keystones, casements and French windows to centre bays, first floor
has casements, same cornice and balustraded parapet as front, 4
pedimented dormers to roof. Rear has similar windows as front
with 1 canted bay to centre, early C19 range to right has sashes
and late C19 mullioned and transomed window lighting stairs.
Interior has fittings of 1880s; 6-panelled and double 6-panelled
doors, entrance hall has door with open pediment and marble
fireplaces. Stair hall has full-height panelling and bolection-
moulded door cases, early C18-style stairs with 3 turned balusters
per tread and ramped handrail. Attached to left return is large
C20 single-storey extension with similar details to main house.
General A.H.Lane Fox Pitt-Rivers, a pioneer in archaeological
technique acquired Rushmore House in 1880 and studied and lived in
Cranborne Chase until his death in 1900.
Listing NGR: ST9532318438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings