History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Workshop 25 Metres North East of Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ansty, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0364 / 51°2'11"N

Longitude: -2.063 / 2°3'46"W

OS Eastings: 395677

OS Northings: 126342

OS Grid: ST956263

Mapcode National: GBR 2YM.TH5

Mapcode Global: FRA 66KC.XSX

Entry Name: Workshop 25 Metres North East of Church of St James

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320258

Location: Ansty, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Ansty

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Ansty St James

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Ansty

Listing Text

ST 92 NE ANSTY ANSTY VILLAGE
(west side)

3/32 Workshop 25 metres north-east of
Church of St. James

6.1.66


GV II*

Banqueting House, now workshop. 1570-80, attributed to Robert
Smythson. Limestone ashlar to west, other elevations coursed
rubblestone, corrugated iron roof of c1927. Single storey, 4
windows to west front. Two pairs of 4-light square-headed windows
with Tudor-arched lights and hoodmoulds; only the left of these
survives intact, the rest are blocked or partly removed, to right
is blocked round-arched door with impost, several C20 inserted
fixed windows. Right return, south gable, has 2-light hollow-
moulded mullioned window with hoodmould to ground floor, two
blocked formerly 2-light mullioned windows to first floor have
missing mullions. Left return, north gable, has double-chamfered
round-arched doorway to right and remains of 4-light window similar
to those on wide side. Rear, east front, has restored double-
chamfered round-arched doorway to left, corresponding with doorway
on west front, inserted C20 sliding doors and windows.
Interior has steel trusses to low-pitched C20 roof, replacing
former roof of steeper pitch. West wall has two pairs of round-
headed, semi-circular niches with rusticated pilasters and
cornices, arranged between each pair of windows; all features fire-
shattered. Fireplace in centre of west wall said to have similar
features. Some traces of original decorative plasterwork,
including a panel over north door of west wall with moulded
architrave and ribbon bows, also simple moulding marking junction
with possible former coved ceiling cornice. Plan probably
consisted of open hall with through passage at south end where
there may have been services and limited accommodation on upper
floor. The attribution to Symthson is based on the combination of
Classical and Tudor styles, similarly found at Old Wardour where
Smythson probably worked c1576, although the property, together
with the Manor House (q.v.), was not acquired by Sir Matthew
Arundell of Wardour until 1594. The paired niches correspond
closely with those flanking the entrance at Old Wardour;
particularly in the unusual use of single rustication blocks, also
extensively employed by Smythson at Wollaton, Nottingham.
(Unpublished VCH records; M. Girouard, Robert Smythson and the
Elizabethan Country House, 1983 .


Listing NGR: ST9567726342

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.