This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.017 / 51°1'1"N
Longitude: -2.0134 / 2°0'48"W
OS Eastings: 399155
OS Northings: 124175
OS Grid: ST991241
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z2.1T2
Mapcode Global: FRA 66NF.CG6
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320342
Location: Ebbesborne Wake, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Ebbesborne Wake
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Ebbesbourne Wake with Fifield Bavant and Alvediston St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 92 SE EBBESBOURNE WAKE EBBESBOURNE WAKE VILLAGE
6/116 Church of St. John the Baptist
Anglican parish church. C14, C17 and restored 1876. Flint with
limestone dressings, ashlar tower, tiled roof. Plan: nave,
chancel, west tower, north aisle and transept, south porch.
Gabled south porch has double chamfered pointed doorway, coped
verge with cross finial. Nave to left and right has restored 2-
light pointed window with Y-tracery and hoodmould, angle buttresses
to west. Chancel has 2-light window with Y-tracery, buttress with
offsets, rainwater heads dated 1876. East end has 2 buttresses
and 2-light C19 pointed window, over is incised tablet: WP
IB/1696; William Perry and John Bodenham who paid for chancel
repairs. North side of chancel has C19 two-light window, lean-to
vestry has chamfered shouldered doorway and 3 shouldered windows.
North side of nave has two 2-light windows with Y-tracery, blocked
pointed chamfered doorway. Two-stage C14 west tower has diagonal
buttresses with niches, pentagonal stair turret with arrowloops,
heavily moulded plinth and blocked cyma-moulded doorway to west, 3-
light Perpendicular window over, offset bell stage has 3-light
square-headed windows with Tudor-arched lights and pierced
decorative louvres, parapet with coping and corner pinnacles.
Interior: Three-bay nave has C19 crown post trusses and scissor-
rafter roof, tiled floor, windows have restored C13 attached shafts
and cusped inner openings. Wooden chancel screen with traceried
openings, of 1899. Chance as polychrome tiled floor, double
chamfered C19 arch to vestry/organ chamber, 2-bay roof similar to
nave, trefoil piscina and sedilia below enriched pediments with
pinnacles. Tower has tall pointed opening from nave with hollow-
chamfered arch on foliated corbels, rib-vaulted ceiling springing
from corbels with carved beasts and heraldic shields, Tudor-arched
chamfered doorway to tower stairs on north. Fine C12 Purbeck
marble font, in tower, has central column with 4 shafts supporting
square bowl. C19 pews and pulpit. Chancel glass of 1870s to
Parham family. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire,
Listing NGR: ST9915524175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings