This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.003 / 51°0'10"N
Longitude: -2.1405 / 2°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 390235
OS Northings: 122630
OS Grid: ST902226
Mapcode National: GBR 1XR.5LW
Mapcode Global: FRA 66DG.HWX
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318813
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320838
Location: Donhead St. Mary, Wiltshire, SP7
Civil Parish: Donhead St. Mary
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Donhead St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DONHEAD ST. MARY CORONATION CLOSE
ST 92 SW (west side)
7/52 Church of St. John, Charlton
Anglican parish church. 1839 by William Walker. Dressed
limestone, Welsh slate roof. Neo-Norman style. Plan consists of
nave and chancel under one roof with west gallery over entrance
lobby, flanked by west towers. West end has central round-arched
double chamfered doorway with double studded doors in slightly
projecting porch with corbel table, above is large round-arched
window with corbel table to battlemented parapet over, outward
facing sides of each flanking tower has lancet in recessed panel
with corbel table to ground floor and to bellstage, battlemented
parapet. North and south sides of nave and chancel have six round-
headed lancets in recessed panels with corbel tables. East end has
three round-arched windows in recessed panels, with corbel tables,
gable has shaped recessed panels, coped verge with cross finial.
Interior has entrance lobby at west end with doors off to vestry
and to newel stairs to gallery. Nave and chancel has 6-bay king
post roof and plain plastered walls, stone floor, west gallery on
two wooden piers with scalloped capitals and front with round-
arched panels and open zig-zag frieze. C19 oak pews, octagonal
stone font bowl on cylndrical base, below gallery on south side.
1940s stained glass in east window by Christopher Webb and later
C20 glass in other windows. Internal rearrangement of west end
and gallery currently proposed (November 1985).
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9023522630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings