This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0527 / 51°3'9"N
Longitude: -2.1314 / 2°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 390882
OS Northings: 128154
OS Grid: ST908281
Mapcode National: GBR 1X0.V8M
Mapcode Global: FRA 66FB.FG6
Entry Name: Hatch House
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321080
Location: West Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: West Tisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WEST TISBURY PYTHOUSE PARK
ST 92 NW (off east side)
4/288 Hatch House
Country house. C17, altered 1908 by Detmar Blow for Benett-
Stanford family. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with three-gabled
west front, ashlar stacks with moulded cappings. Rectangular plan
represents remnants of larger house, part demolished in 1770.
Two-storey, 7-window west front. Slightly recessed centre 3 bays
with 3-bay round-arched loggia with channelled rustication to
ground floor, either side are shell-headed niches, the right one
with scratched dated 1670, plat band to first floor with three
cross windows and central gable with 2-light mullioned casement,
C20 dormers either side, flanking cross wings have two 18-pane
sashes in moulded architraves to both floors, single casements to
attics. Left return has two 8-pane sashes in moulded architraves
flanked by blind windows, attic gable with 2-light mullioned
casement, C20 dormers. Right return has four 18-pane sashes in
moulded architraves to both floors, including one blind to first
floor, gable has two 2-light casements: Rear has C19 gabled porch
and 8-pane sashes in moulded architraves, cellar has 2-light
hollow-chamfered mullioned windows, unglazed. Single storey
kitchen range attached to rear left with tiled roof. Lead
rainwater heads dated 1908. Interior not accessible at time of
survey, but fittings said to date from Detmar Blow's remodelling;
6-panelled doors in moulded architraves, some raised panelling,
bolection moulded marble fireplaces.
A plaque in the loggia records the residence of Lawrence Hyde,
whose son became Earl of Clarendon and Lord Chancellor in 1660;
see memorials in Tisbury Church of St. John the Baptist (q.v.).
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Country
Life, 10 May 1919)
Listing NGR: ST9088228154
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings