History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pythouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Tisbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0563 / 51°3'22"N

Longitude: -2.135 / 2°8'5"W

OS Eastings: 390635

OS Northings: 128564

OS Grid: ST906285

Mapcode National: GBR 1X0.M1R

Mapcode Global: FRA 66FB.62Q

Entry Name: Pythouse

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318819

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321084

Location: West Tisbury, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: West Tisbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Tisbury St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
East Knoyle

Listing Text

WEST TISBURY PYTHOUSE PARK
ST 92 NW (north side)

4/292 Pythouse
6.1.66
GV II*

Country house, now residential apartments. Circa 1725, rebuilt
1805 by John Benett, rear service wings 1891 for Vere Benett-
Stanford. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate hipped roofs, stone
stacks. Regency. Two-storey and basement, 9-bay symmetrical
front. Central tetrastyle Ionic portico with unfluted columns, up
steps with mounting block, channelled rusticated basement has three
3-pane windows either side. Ground floor has central panelled
double doors in moulded architrave, four plate glass sashes left
and right. First floor has nine plate glass sashes. Moulded
cornice to pediment with Benett arms and blocking course, cast-iron
rainwater heads dated 1805. Right and left returns with central
distyle in antis Ionic portico with French windows and 12-pane or
plate glass sashes, cast-iron balustrade to steps and portico,
flanking bays have tripartite sashes with segmental-headed panels
to ground floor, sashes to first floor, cornice and blocking course
as front. To rear of returns are projecting ashlar-faced 1891
wings with bow-fronted 2-storey porches with French windows up
steps with stone balustrades, plate glass sashes. Rear service
wings in yellow cavity-walled brick flank the service courtyard;
plate glass segmental-headed sashes, 4-panelled and half-glazed
doors, cast-iron rainwater heads dated 1891, lead and slate roofs
with raking attic dormers.
Interior: entrance hall with diagonally-laid marble floor, 8-
panelled double doors, anthemion ceiling frieze. Central stair
hall wth stone stairs on cast-iron arched trellis support, returns
are cantilevered, cast-iron 'rod' balusters, wreathed moulded
handrails, marble Ionic columns to upper corridor, guilloche frieze
to coved ceiling with oval toplight. Morning room has fine grey
marble fireplace with canopy with floral frieze on enriched columns
and date 1553, probably Italian, plaster ceiling frieze with vine
motif. Drawing room has fine Italian fireplace with classical
scene with figures to frieze of canopy. First floor retains some
fittings of early C18 house, to middle range; east side has stairs
with two turned balusters per open string tread, wide moulded
handrail, doors with two raised panels, some dado panelling, west
side of house has room with good marble fireplace with rococo
frieze and consoles to cornice and overmantel, full fielded
panelling and dentil cornice, door with 6 fielded panels in
enriched architrave. Kitchen of 1891 retains original blue or
white tiled walls, glazed roof, large segmental-arched opening to
former ranges. Glazed corridor at first floor level linking 1805
range with 1891 wings has tesselated floor, octagonal leaded
windows. Fine classical house set in parkland with ha-ha. The
front is very similar to front of Phillips House, Dinton (q.v.),
begun 1813 and by Jeffry Wyatville.
(Country Houses Association guide; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of
England, Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST9063528564

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.