This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2227 / 54°13'21"N
Longitude: -2.6119 / 2°36'42"W
OS Eastings: 360202
OS Northings: 480952
OS Grid: SD602809
Mapcode National: GBR BM6M.B0
Mapcode Global: WH94N.V4F3
Entry Name: Deans Biggin Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 November 1952
Last Amended: 22 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318967
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75203
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
OFF MANSERGH ROAD
5166 Deans Biggin farmhouse
(formerly listed as
SD 68 SW 2/147 21.11.52
C16 or early C17 farmhouse with later alterations and additions. Two storeys. Rubble.
Slate roof. Three chimneys. Symmetrical three bay composition. Two storey gabled
porch. Three light windows to either side with chamfered stone mullions. Only that at
top left has chamfered surround and moulded label. Rest have plain stone surrounds as
do the openings in porch and the single light windows which flank it on ground floor.
On first floor of porch is crude Venetian window with keystone but solid tympanum, all
three lights sashed with all glazing bars. Doorway segmental headed altered from
round headed. Over it shield shaped plaque with raised lettering "IAB 1623". At
apex of porch gable a worn finial with four gables. At rear later except at left,
where one three light chamfered mullioned window to first floor. Modern casements
to all windows except porch.
Interior. Exposed beams. Central chimney stack with three stone fireplaces,
probably early C17. Large fireplace on ground floor with segmental head and moulded
stopped chamfers. Two on first floor with triangular heads. One with ornament and
date 1623, other shouldered with heavily moulded square surround. Western part of
roof has renewed trusses. Eastern part said to be C17 king post with cambered
trusses. (RCHM, NLVAS).
Listing NGR: SD6020280952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings