History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Call Stone magistrates Court town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.327 / 54°19'37"N

Longitude: -2.7473 / 2°44'50"W

OS Eastings: 351493

OS Northings: 492633

OS Grid: SD514926

Mapcode National: GBR 9L8D.0N

Mapcode Global: WH82W.RHYQ

Entry Name: Call Stone magistrates Court town Hall

Listing Date: 24 April 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1318980

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75377

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 5192 NW & NE KENDAL HIGHGATE
(East side)

7 & 8/34 Town Hall,
Magistrates Court, &
24-4-51 Call Stone

G.V. II

Assembly Rooms, known as White Hall, on sloping site; 1825 by Francis (&
George?) Webster. 1859 converted for use as Town Hall by George Webster. 1893
(date in pediment) extended by Stephen Shaw. Hammer-dressed, banded, ground
floor; 1st floor ashlar, with sill band. Eaves band and cornice. Highgate
elevation has open parapet of turned stone balusters with covered urns on plinth
blocks at each end; 2 ornate dormers with clock tower between.
Steeply-pitched, hipped, graduated slate roofs. 2 storeys with attic to
Highgate, and cellars to Lowther Street, elevations. 3-bays (2:1) added to left
on Highgate elevation in 1893: Panelled double doors in richly-decorated
doorcase with date and cartouche in open and broken pediment; 2
semicircular-headed windows to left with Call Stone on ground between (part of
Stricklandgate Market Cross, from which proclamations have been made for over 3
centuries). 1st floor: Sash over door in architrave with splayed feet and
swan-neck pediment, all within segmentally-pedimented surround; 2 sashes in
corniced architrave to left. Dormer window in pedimented architrave with
splayed feet. 2-stage clock tower (above door) has semicircular-headed louvred
openings; swan-neck pediment between stages has cartouche with initial 'B' (for
Alderman William Bindloss, Mayor, who gave the bells). 2nd stage has large,
circular, clock face in open-pedimented surround. Ogee lead roof is surmounted
by small lantern with weather-vane. Former White Hall comprises 3 (symmetrical)
right-hand bays (1:1:1) of Highgate elevation and 14 bays (3:8:3) on Lowther
Street. Highgate: central, panelled double doors and semicircular fanlight
with semicircular-headed window to either side. 1st floor: Pedimented Ionic
loggia in antis with cast-iron balustrade; sash in corniced architrave to either
side. Central Venetian dormer window, in ornate pedimented surround, added in
1893 (replacing mid Cl9 clock tower). Lowther Street: 3 bays to either end
have semicircular-headed windows to ground floor and tall 1st floor sashes;
lower ground floor to Magistrates Court (3 eastern bays) has recessed, panelled
double door in corniced surround with 2 windows to left. 8 central bays have
semicircular-headed windows to both floors. Glazing bars to windows on both
elevations. Interior: Richly decorated, mainly 1893 fittings. Hall cornice
has wreaths to frieze; staircase with spiral curtail to ornamental iron handrail
(rear stair similar). Council Chamber has ornate wooden chimneypiece; Assembly
Hall has Doric pilasters carrying coved segmental ceiling. Both Court Room and
Assembly Hall have galleries supported on cast-iron pillars.


Listing NGR: SD5149392633

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.