History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends Meeting House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3286 / 54°19'42"N

Longitude: -2.743 / 2°44'34"W

OS Eastings: 351778

OS Northings: 492808

OS Grid: SD517928

Mapcode National: GBR 9L8D.Y3

Mapcode Global: WH82W.VG0H

Entry Name: Friends Meeting House

Listing Date: 24 April 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75492

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal St George

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 5192 NE KENDAL STRAMONGATE
(Off South side)

8/146 Friends' Meeting
24-4-51 House

G.V. II*

Meeting House. 1816 (built partly on site of late C17 Meeting House) by Francis
Webster. Altered internally in 1934, extended eastward in 1936. Hammer-dressed
limestone blocks on plinth; eaves cornice and blocking course. Graduated slate
roofs with parallel ridges; stone end chimneys. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Stramongate
elevation: Porch on left has lunette immediately above and 2 semicircular-headed
sashes to right; three 1st floor windows are 1934 insertions. New Street
elevation: Porch on right has lunette immediately above and 4
semicircular-headed sashes to left; five lst floor sashes. Tall tripartite sash
to west return. Both porches have cornices and blocking courses, with panelled
inner double doors. All windows have glazing bars. Interior: originally 2
rooms separated by full-height timber partition of 4 elliptical-headed arches
carried between panelled pilasters; the arcade was infilled by movable, panelled
shutters which were permanently fixed in place when an upper (classroom) floor
was inserted on the north side in 1934. Cast-iron columns support the gallery,
with turned balusters, carried around 2 sides of the south room.


Listing NGR: SD5177892808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.