History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3316 / 54°19'53"N

Longitude: -2.7493 / 2°44'57"W

OS Eastings: 351373

OS Northings: 493149

OS Grid: SD513931

Mapcode National: GBR 9L7C.L0

Mapcode Global: WH82W.RD05

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 30 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75509

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 5193 SW KENDAL STRICKLANDGATE
(West side)

4/164 Church of St Thomas


G.V. II

Church; built to provide increased church accommodation within the Parish. 1835
by George Webster; consecrated 5th July 1837. Later additions and alterations.
Orientated north-east/south-west with altar at latter end; description applies
liturgical orientation, with altar at east end. Snecked rubble on chamfered
plinth; gabled tops to stepped buttresses between bays. Parapet, castellated to
1st and 6th bays and tower. Graduated slate roof. Integral west tower with
aisleless nave and chancel; octagonal vestry adjoins north side. 4-stage tower:
Triple lancets to ground floor (single lancet to either side in adjoining bays);
3 stepped lancets to 2nd stage; clock (from Old Town Hall) to 3rd stage; paired
lancet belfry openings to 4th stage. 6-bay nave with single projecting bay to
either side of chancel; paired lancets to side walls, 3 stepped lancets to east
end. Main entrance on north side, through single-storey hall, added late C20
(of no interest). Interior extensively remodelled.


Listing NGR: SD5137393149

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.