This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.793 / 51°47'34"N
Longitude: -0.8895 / 0°53'22"W
OS Eastings: 476683
OS Northings: 211069
OS Grid: SP766110
Mapcode National: GBR C1P.HYD
Mapcode Global: VHDV9.J6L9
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saints Peter and Paul
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43099
Location: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stone with Dinton and Hartwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 SE DINTON-WITH-FORD AND UPTON ROAD, Dinton
UPTON (south side)
3/162 Parish Church of Saints Peter
Parish church. C12 (south doorway), c1230 chancel, c1240 south
aisle and south arcade, nave north wall c1400, south aisle widened
and west tower added C15. South porch c1500. Chancel lengthened by
3m. 1868. 3 bay chancel, 5 bay nave with south aisle, south porch
and west Tower. Coursed rubblestone with stone dressings. Chancel
roof has old tiles, nave, aisle and tower have lead roofs. Chancel
has lancet windows, a triplet at east end and 3 to north and south
walls. Moulded abacus string continues as hood over windows. Nave
has crenellated parapet. South clerestory has 3 quatrefoil windows.
South aisle has coped parapet. East window C15 3 trefoil lights and
tracery in 2 centred head. South wall has two 3-cinquefoil light
windows under flat head either side of gable south porch. Then to
west 2 trefoil lights with quatrefoil in 2 centred head. 3 ogee
lights with tracery in 4-centred head to west wall. Nave north
wall has to east 2-light trefoils under flat head, 3 west windows
of 3 cinquefoil lights under flat heads. Weathered buttresses
between and to south aisle. West tower has 2 stages, the lower
with weathered angle buttresses. Crenellated parapets and octagonal
south east stair turret. Small trefoil lights to ringing chamber,
2-trefoil lights with quatrefoil and 2 centre arches to belfry
windows. West door C13 of 3 moulded orders, the outer 2 with jamb
shafts with moulded caps and bases. Above is C15 window of 3
cinquefoil lights and tracery under 4 centred head. South porch
has angle buttresses and pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders in
square head. In side walls single trefoil lights under square heads.
South doorway into church c1140 with splendid Romanesque ornament.
2 order jambs, inner hollow chamfered with stylised beak-head,
outer order with spiral banded shafts on moulded bases with scallop
capital on left bird on right, cable necks and chip carved abaci.
Arch has interlace frieze to tympanum, bowtel and hollow chamfer
to outer order. Then continuous third order with chevron and billet.
Lintel carved with Dragon and St. Michael, tympanum with tree and
monsters eating appl es. Above lintel is latin inscription. Porch
roof c1500 queen struts to collar cambered tie beams and chamfered purlin
braces. Moulded purlins, trusses and wall plates. Interior: south
east lancet has splays lowered to form seat. Tall blank recess
between east lancets. Trefoil head piscina. Squint from south east
chapel. Chancel arch of 3 chamfered orders. Moulded semi-octagonal
caps and bases to semi-octagonal responds. Nave north side has wall
divided by semi-octagonal pilasters with chamfered caps and bases,
resting on continuous wall bench. Pilasters support roof tie beams;
off centre doorway in centre bay. South side has arcade of 2 chamfered
orders on octagonal piers with moulded bell capitals and bases. Moulded
labels on both. Some of wall above arcades probably C12. Stone head
corbels to east bay, timber moulded to other bays support wall posts.
South aisle roof on plain corbels. Tower arch 2-centred of 3 chamfered
orders dying into straight jambs. C19 wagon roof to chancel. Font.
C14 circular cup shaped bowl, fluted, with trefoil heads to fluting,
moulded rim and band of quatrefoil panels to frieze. Pulpit. Panelled
Jacobean on stone base. Monuments. In tower: north side Richard
Sergeant 1668. altar tomb with Ionic columns, pediment and entablature
supporting urn. South side Richard Ingoldsby 1703. Wall tablet with
putti to left and right, curtains, segmental cornice,escutcheon and
foliage. Nave north wall: wall tablet to Simon Mayne 1787 oval marble
on black oval, shield above. Also Elizabeth Vanhattern 1764, and
John Vanhattern 1747 which is tablet flanked by Corinthian pilasters, arms
above. In tower mural tablet to Jane Serjeant. 1681, inscription and
shield with arms. Brasses. In chancel floor of C15 and C16.
RCHMI. 123. MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP7668211070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings