History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hardwick Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hardwick, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8652 / 51°51'54"N

Longitude: -0.8325 / 0°49'56"W

OS Eastings: 480488

OS Northings: 219154

OS Grid: SP804191

Mapcode National: GBR D2B.0C3

Mapcode Global: VHDTY.JD80

Entry Name: Hardwick Place

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 29 January 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42155

Location: Hardwick, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Hardwick

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hardwick

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Aylesbury

Listing Text

SP 81 NW HARDWICK BUCKINGHAM ROAD

6/6 Hardwick Place
(formerly listed as The Rectory)

25.10.51

- II*


House. Originally C16-C17, much altered C18, with late C19 extension in
S.E. angle of T-plan, N. and E. wings are of red brick partly thin and
part with C18 moulded eaves. E. and S. gables are of coursed rubble
stone. Main S. front refaced c.1730 in alternate red and vitreous
header bricks with red brick quoins and stone dressings. Old tile
roofs, hipped to S. N. and E. wings each have central C17 brick
chimneys with 'V' pilasters and moulded strings. 2 storeys basement and
attic. Circa 1730 front has moulded stone capping to plinth, first
floor stone band course, modest stone cornice and parapet with stone
coping. 5 bays, the central 3 slightly advanced below pediment with
blind round window in stone Gibbs surround. Main floors have 3-pane
sashes in similar surrounds. Basement openings have segmental stone
arches with keyblocks. Attic lit by hipped dormer in right side.
Central 6-panelled door, renewed C20, with blind rectangular fanlight,
panelled reveals and Gibbs surround with large keyblock and moulded
cornice above. C19 wall at right-angles to left of front has re-sited
board and stud door in 4-centred wooden arch with carved spandrels dated
1551. Block to left, beyond wall, has 2 bays of irregular sash
windows, and re-tiled roof. Interior: central hall has early-mid
C18 staircase with elegant turned balusters, moulded handrail and
closed string. Room to ground floor left is lower than remainder,
with C17 spine beam. C17 staircase in rear wing, has turned balusters
and chamfered handrail; similar balusters to first floor and attic
landings. 6-panel doors.
RCIIM II p.142 Mon.2.


Listing NGR: SP8048819154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.