This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8636 / 51°51'48"N
Longitude: -0.8301 / 0°49'48"W
OS Eastings: 480654
OS Northings: 218982
OS Grid: SP806189
Mapcode National: GBR D2B.0Z9
Mapcode Global: VHDTY.KFH6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42158
Location: Hardwick, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Hardwick
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hardwick
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 81 MY HARDWICK CHURCH PATH
6/9 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Nave probably of late Pre-Conquest date, W tower
and S. aisle added mid C14. Chancel rebuilt, incorporating some old
masonry, 1872-3. N. vestry and S. porch also added and remainder
restored at this date. Coursed rubble stone, tower and S. clerestory
rendered. Nave and tower have lead roofs,tiled chancel, S. aisle with
C20 pantiles. W. tower of 2 stages has plinth, battlemented parapet,
angle buttresses and parapet of square stair turret at S.W. corner. 2-
light traceried openings to bell chamber, small lancet below to S., 2-light
traceried window and clock to W. Nave has moulded parapet, N. wall
also with plinth and off-set buttresses. C15 traceried 3-light
windows flank moulded doorway to N. Over door is a Cll window with
semi-circular head and double splayed sides. S. side of nave has
clerestory of 3 C15 cusped 3-light windows with flat heads, the window
in E. bay with hoodmould, and small quatrefoil window between E. bays.
S. aisle has C19 moulded cornice and 3 2-light traceried windows, 2 to
E. bays C14 with ogee tracery and arched heads, window in W. bay
later with flat head. Traceried round window in E. wall rebuilt C20.
Moulded S. doorway with some carved foliage ornament. Chancel has
moulded plinth and sill course, the S. side with 2 2-light traceried
windows and small door,one similar window to N., and 3-light window
to E. Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower. Nave has 5-bay S.
arcade of double chamfered arches on shaped quatrefoil piers with flattened
lobes and moulded capitals. Blocked openings to rood-loft stairs.
C15-C16 roof with chamfered and hollow-chamfered beams. S. aisle has
piscina with triangular head, and 4-centred arch over reveal of S.W.
window. C19 chancel arch. Chancel Cl9 with arch to organ in N.wall,
and cusped piscina and window- seat sedilia to S. Fittings: small C17
chest; painted stone and glazed tile reredos dated 1899; C19 glass and
other fittings. Monuments: painted stone and marble monument to Sir
Robert Lee and family, 1616, with relief of figures kneeling at reading
desk, family behind, and flanking Doric piers with entablature blocks
and obelisks; base of marble monument to John Wood; marble tablets
in S. aisle to Richard Harris 1613, William Barker 1669, John Dummer
1694 and James Fussell 1760.
RCHM II p. 141 -2.
Listing NGR: SP8065418982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings