This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8693 / 51°52'9"N
Longitude: -0.6886 / 0°41'19"W
OS Eastings: 490385
OS Northings: 219776
OS Grid: SP903197
Mapcode National: GBR F3N.LQZ
Mapcode Global: VHFRH.08TW
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 18 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319266
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42101
Location: Mentmore, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Mentmore
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Cheddington with Mentmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 91 NW MENTMORE
4/116 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Some early C13 details, aisles rebuilt C14 and
C15, late C15 W. tower, nave arcades and clerestory, chancel
rebuilt and remainder very much restored 1858 by G.H. Stokes. C19
S. porch and N. vestry. Dressed limestone, tiled roofs to chancel and
porch, lead roofs to remainder. W. tower of 2 stages has plinth,
battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses and square stair tower
to S.E. Bell-chamber has 2-light traceried openings. 3-light cusped
window over nave and aisles. 3-bay clerestory has 3-light cusped
windows with 4-centred heads. Aisles have 2-light traceried windows,
the S. aisle irregular with 3-light E. window and one window to
S. with flat head and X tracery. S. door in moulded 2-centred arch.
Chancel has one bay of lancets, additional 2-light traceried
window to S., and 3-light traceried E. window. Vestry to north.
Interior: Tower has double hollow chamfered arch on attached shafts,
with moulded caps. Nave arcades of 3 bays have moulded arches on
quatrefoil piers with shafts in angles, battlemented capitals and
bases made out of C13 stiff-leaf capitals. C19 roof retaining C15-C16
carved figures of angels, restored. Chancel arch rebuilt C19 with double-
chamfered arch on semi-octagonal piers and with small carved stone angel
stops. Fittings: round medieval font; fragments of C15 glass in
window in N. aisle; C17 altar table with turned balusters and fluted
frieze in N. aisle; glass in E. window 1890 by Kempe; other fittings C19.
Monuments: W. wall of N. aisle has small brass to John Theede 1641;
marble wall tablet above to Thomas Theed 1702 with carved draperies,
winged cherub heads and coat of arms.
RCHM II p. 195-6.
Listing NGR: SP9038519776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings