This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8749 / 51°52'29"N
Longitude: -0.912 / 0°54'43"W
OS Eastings: 474999
OS Northings: 220155
OS Grid: SP749201
Mapcode National: GBR C0P.J7T
Mapcode Global: VHDTX.44QH
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42200
Location: Quainton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Quainton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Quainton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 7420 QUAINTON CHURCH STREET
8/53 Church of St. Mary and
the Holy Cross
Parish church. C14 nave, aisles and chancel; late C15 W. tower, clerestory,
N. chapel and S. porch. N. aisle and S. porch rebuilt and remainder restored
1877. C19 N. vestry. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roofs to nave and
chancel, lead roofs to aisles. W. tower of 3 stages has plinth, angle
buttresses, restored battlemented parapet with carved figures to
string below, and stair turret at S.W. corner. 2-light traceried openings
to bell-chamber, restored and reused C14 traceried window and moulded door
to west. 5-bay
clerestory of 2-light cusped windows with Tudor hoodmoulds. Aisles have
3 bays of 3-light traceried windows with flat heads, originally late C15.
E. window of S. aisle is restored 3-light Decorated window. Moulded
doorways to N. and S., the S. door with stoup over stone with trefoil
ornament. Moulded arch and battlemented parpet to S. porch. Perpendicular
N. chapel with similar parapet, 2 bays of 3-light traceried windows and
small moulded doorway. Decorated chancel has 3 bays of restored 3-light
traceried windows and 5-light window to east. Interior: approximately
4-centred arch to tower. Nave has tall arcades of 5 bays with double
chamfered arches on octagonal piers, altered C15. Another arch to N.
chapel. Remains of rood-loft stairs in N.E. pier. 2 piscinae in S. aisle,
one in rectangular niche, the other in window jamb with 2 cusped ogee
openings. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on semi-
octagonal piers. C19 ogee piscina and triple sedilia. C19 roofs.
Fittings: C15 octagonal font with traceried panels; part of low C15-C16
screen with 4 painted figures in cusped ogee panels, now at E. end of N.
aisle; chest with linenfold panels and tablet dated 1775; C19 carved stone
reredos, stained glass in E. window,and charity boards. Brasses in
chancel to: Margery Verney and children 1509: John Spence, priest,1485;
Elizabeth Chester 1593; Joan Plessi c.1350; Richard Iwardby 1510; and
John Lewys, priest, 1422. Important series of fine wall monuments:
In S. aisle: a) to Richard Brett, one of the 47 translators of the Bible,
and wife Alice, 163?. Small carved and painted figures kneeling at desk
in marble aedicule with segmental pediment; b) marble effigies of
Richard Winwood and wife 1689, reclining on tomb chest with incised
skeleton on front panel. Winwood has finely carved armour and elaborate wig.
Wife in loose classical garb leans on her elbow to look over husband.
Draped inscription tablet above. Signed Thos. Stayner. In N. aisle: c)
to Sir Richard Piggott 1686, Thomas Pigott 1704, and wife Lettice 1735.
Signed I. Leoni Archi. Of coloured marble with sarcophagus, relief of
cherub heads and surround of Ionic columns, entablature and broken pediment.
d) to Susanna and John Dormer of Lee Grange, 1672 and 1675, signed Wm.Stanton.
Black and White marble with inscription tablets in moulded surrounds, the
upper tablet with flanking portrait busts.
In Tower: e) to Robert Dormer, J.P., wife and son, c.1730, attributed to
Roubiliac. Imposing composition, finely carved, with son lying on a
sarcophagus, father standing to left, and distraught mother kneeling to
right. Classical surround. f) to Fleetwood Dormer and family, 1638 and later.
Attributed to Grinling Gibbons but carving not of his quality. Awkward
composition of urns, putti and obelisks with eagle finials and carved
RCHM II p.240-243. Illustrations in Murray's Guide to Buckinghamshire.
Listing NGR: SP7499820155
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings