This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4854 / 51°29'7"N
Longitude: -0.6081 / 0°36'29"W
OS Eastings: 496740
OS Northings: 177189
OS Grid: SU967771
Mapcode National: GBR F8D.WL9
Mapcode Global: VHFT8.DXVP
Entry Name: The Old House Hotel
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319337
English Heritage Legacy ID: 40578
Location: Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle Without
Built-Up Area: Windsor
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Windsor Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1 THAMES STREET
The Old House Hotel
SU 9677 SE 1/70 4.1.50.
Painted inscription dates building as being 1676 and records that Sir C Wren
apparently lived here. The front appears to be early C18 with later C18 glazing
bar sash windows. The main block is set back from street and is of brick on
stuccoed plinth with centre break of 3 windows and bracketed cornice and pediment;
the flanking bays, each of 2 windows have stone coping on offset shallow brick
parapet. Hipped slate roof. Pediment over centre has lunette attic window.
Glazed door in wood Tuscan porch of 2 engaged columns, entablature With triglyph
frieze, enriched cornice and pediment - moulded stone bases to columns. 3 steps
up. Paved forecourt and later C18 wrought iron rails with urn finialed standards
to street. Late C18 wing to left hand: 3 storeys and ttic; 1st floor stone
sill course, stone cornice and blocking course. Mansard slate roof with 2 dormers.
3 windows to upper floors, 2 on ground floor, glazing bar sashes, flat gauged
arches. Door of 6 flush panels to right hand in doorcase of panelled pilasters
with carved caps, entablature with dentil cornice and radiating and wreathed
fanlight. The right hand return of this wing has open loggia approach to secondary
entrance to main block. This wing appears to have been a separate house. The
right hand wing is a circa 1800-20 extension, 3 storey part, next to main block,
taller and of painted brick - parapet with coping; 2 windows, glazing bar sashes.
Adjoining lower 3 storey part, has 3 windows, glazing bars intact to 2nd floor
only. The farthest section of the wing is of one storey and basement and has
6 panel door flanked by engaged Doric columns in antis; window to right flanked
by pilasters with cornice over. Interior of main block has open string staircase,
pedimented doorways to hall - rooms with dado or full height panelling.
Nos 49 to 51(consec) form a group with The Old House Hotel.
Listing NGR: SU9674077189
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings