History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal County of Berks Real Tennis Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Bray, Windsor and Maidenhead

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4934 / 51°29'36"N

Longitude: -0.716 / 0°42'57"W

OS Eastings: 489234

OS Northings: 177947

OS Grid: SU892779

Mapcode National: GBR D6X.CST

Mapcode Global: VHDWR.JQTH

Entry Name: Royal County of Berks Real Tennis Club

Listing Date: 1 June 1984

Last Amended: 2 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319430

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41066

Location: Bray, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6

County: Windsor and Maidenhead

Civil Parish: Bray

Built-Up Area: Maidenhead

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Bray with Braywood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bray

Listing Text

BRAY HOLYPORT STREET
SU 8977
(north-west side, off)
ZJIO Holyport
01.06.84 Royal County of Berks Real Tennis Club
(formerly listed as Real Tennis Club
at Holyport Lodge)

II

Real tennis court. 1889 by Joseph.Bickley for Samuel Heilbut in a utilitarian Queen Anne style.
Brick with rendered and stone dressings, low pitched, hipped steel-frame roof, slate covered and
with continuous lantern light over main section (tennis court). Rectangular plan of 7 bays to
tennis court, with lower section on south east comprising reception, bar and changing rooms. One
storey and one and a half storeys. 3 chimneys on outer walls near corners, with offset pedimented
heads and decorative clay pots. Tennis court: deep implied plinth, continuous external balcony
supported on iron brackets; curtain glazing between shallow pilasters with moulded stare capitals;
parapet with moulded stone coping and urns on top of pilasters. Central bay on south-west front
has clock in aedicule frame with broken pediment and moulded base on large curved brackets,
breaking into parapet. Lower section: former entrance on south-west front on left with pair of
half-glazed and panelled entrance doors in ashlar surround, cornice and moulded, semi-circular
arched head, with the date 1899 and crossed tennis rackets in the spandrel. Above this a moulded
base to a sash window in moulded architrave frame, reeded head; surmounted by a moulded pediment.
To the right of this, set back is a 3-bay blind arcade with semi-circular moulded heads between
pilasters; parapet with moulded coping and urns over pilasters. Entrance now on north-east front
in small late C20 extension in similar style. Interior: reception area: wooden fireplace in the
Adam style with festoons and floral decoration. Mirror over moulded mantel, with 4 mirrors, shelf
unit and pedimented top. C19 cast-iron fireplace in first-floor dressing room with moulded wooden
surround and plain tile inset. Joseph Bickley (1835-1923) was renowned for his patent method of
constructing the wall and floor finishes for tennis and rackets' courts.


Listing NGR: SU8923477947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.