History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Chapel Public House the Old Chapel Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Plymouth, City of Plymouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3698 / 50°22'11"N

Longitude: -4.1737 / 4°10'25"W

OS Eastings: 245510

OS Northings: 54466

OS Grid: SX455544

Mapcode National: GBR R55.0C

Mapcode Global: FRA 2842.3T0

Entry Name: Old Chapel Public House the Old Chapel Public House

Listing Date: 25 January 1954

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473334

Location: Plymouth, PL1

County: City of Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Devonport

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Millbrook

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/02/2018

SX4554
740-1/54/145

PLYMOUTH
Devonport
GEORGE STREET (North side)
No.8

(formerly listed as No.2 Old Chapel Public House, DUKE STREET, previously listed as: GEORGE STREET, Devonport No.8 The Old Chapel Public House)

25/01/54

GV

II
Former nonconformist (Unitarian chapel). 1790; converted to public house in 1801. Stone rubble with brick dressings but probably originally stuccoed; bitumen-grouted slate roofs with slightly-projecting eaves and moulded wooden pediment to front end of main roof and to porch roof. Rectangular aisle-less plan, presumably originally with galleries; small C20 flat-roofed single-storey extension to part of left-hand return.

Two-storey elevations: three windows to left-hand side and two windows to entrance front. Round first-floor windows with glazing bars and pivot-opening centres. There is a blind oval formerly dated 1801 to the main pediment and a spoked glazed lunette to the porch pediment with a 1790 date plaque under; blocked ground-floor windows: two flanking wide central doorway of porch and one visible to left-hand return; C20 panelled doors.

INTERIOR: remodelled C20.

Listing NGR: SX4551054466

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.