History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hipper Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Holymoorside, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.2221 / 53°13'19"N

Longitude: -1.4921 / 1°29'31"W

OS Eastings: 434010

OS Northings: 369570

OS Grid: SK340695

Mapcode National: GBR 695.TXC

Mapcode Global: WHDFG.18RQ

Entry Name: Hipper Hall

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Last Amended: 30 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393526

Location: Holymoorside and Walton, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S42

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Holymoorside and Walton

Built-Up Area: Holymoorside

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Brampton St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Old Brampton

Listing Text

1264-0/5/126 (East side)
31/01/67 Hipper Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Hipper Hall)


House. Early C17, with alterations and additions in the early
C18, and further altered in 1959. Coursed Coal Measures
Sandstone, with ashlar dressings, quoins, coped gables with
moulded kneelers, one ridge stack to rear range, and a stone
slated roof. Double-pile plan, formerly with lobby entrance to
rear pile, now with C18 entrance between the gables at the
south-west end, and the present entrance at the north-east end
added or remodelled in 1959. Two storeys and attics, both
ranges having been raised, 3 bays, with a single-bay advanced
gabled wing to the north-east end of the rear pile, of two
storeys, presumably the same height as the earlier house. The
advanced wing has a five-light recessed chamfered mullioned
and transomed window beneath a drip mould to the ground floor,
and above, a similar three-light mullioned window. The main
range has tall altered C17 openings, now forming windows, that
to the south-west end, formerly mullioned and transomed, now
altered to incorporate tall, asymmetrically spaced C20 chamfer
mullions in old stone surrounds. Similar two-light window in
former doorway position south-west of the advanced wing.
Above, a C20 two-light mullioned window, and above the former
mullioned and transomed opening, a two and a three light C17
recessed chamfered mullioned window, each below a drip mould.
South-west end elevation has early C18 gabled porch with coped
gables and scrolled kneelers at the junction of the front and
rear ranges. The doorway has a shouldered surround with an
oval window within an ornamental surround above the doorhead.
Plain plank door. The porch encloses a C18 doorway with a
moulded and shouldered surround, and a plain plank door.
South-east of the doorway, a C18 chamfered mullioned window,
with advanced head having a hollow moulding acting as an
integral drip mould. To the north-west two 2-light C20
chamfered mullioned windows. At first floor level, two
single-light C17 openings and a two-light window without a
mullion, but all with drip moulds. One two-light recessed
chamfered mullioned window to the second floor, formerly the
attic of the earlier house. The gables bear clear evidence of
raising. North-west elevation has asymmetrically positioned
windows of three periods; ground floor with 2 three-light
recessed chamfered mullioned windows and a former C17
two-light window, with the mullion removed, all beneath drip
moulds. To the centre of the building, at staircase
half-landing level, two 2-light early C18 chamfered mullioned
windows with integral drip moulds to heads. To either side, at
first floor level, two-light mullioned windows, that to the
north-east with chamfered mullions, that to the south-west
flush mullioned. North-east elevation was substantially
remodelled in 1959, but with some C17 and C18 mullioned
openings.. ..
INTERIOR: the spine wall between the two piles may have been
timber framed. The dividing wall at the south-west end retains
a plank and muntin screen which incorporates a mid wall post.
The screen to the north-east end has been repositioned to
accommodate a new hallway. The central hearth to the rear pile
retains a C17 stone surround, with splayed jambs, having
corbelled heads. Some first floor rooms have C17 square oak
panelling, and the staircase has newel posts with polygonal
finials. The roof is carried on upper cruck trusses, with
single side purlins and a ridge purlin.

Listing NGR: SK3401069570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.