This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6559 / 53°39'21"N
Longitude: -0.5989 / 0°35'55"W
OS Eastings: 492696
OS Northings: 418628
OS Grid: SE926186
Mapcode National: GBR SV85.45
Mapcode Global: WHGG0.SC0M
Entry Name: The Chains
Listing Date: 17 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442653
Location: Winterton, North Lincolnshire, DN15
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Winterton
Built-Up Area: Winterton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Winterton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 9218-9318 WINTERTON WEST STREET
9/73 No 53 (The Chains)
House. Late C18-early C19 with earlier origins, by William Fowler of
Winterton. C20 restorations. Coursed limestone rubble and brick, rendered.
Slate roof to main section; pantiles to lower section to left. Gothick
style. L-shaped on plan, with 2 projecting bays to front and
studio/workshop range to rear. Main front comprises 2-storey single-bay
section flanked by projecting 3-storey bays jettied-out at first floor
level. Single storey and attic range to left. Entrance beneath jettied
bay on left. Part-glazed panelled door in architrave with narrow window
to left flanked by 1984 temporary brick piers supporting jetty. Jettied
bay to right has central projecting support with Tudor-arched recess containing
louvred panel, flanked by plastered vaulting supported on plain moulded
corbels. Similar vaulting to left bay removed at time of re-survey.
Central section has 16-pane sash with shutters beneath pediment and 3-light
first floor sliding sash beneath moulded and deeply-coved eaves cornice.
Jettied bays have 3-light sliding sashes with glazing bars to each floor.
Pitched roof to main central section, hipped to jettied bays. Lateral
stacks to jettied bays, end stacks. Lower section to left: single casement,
gabled dormer, axial stack. Interior: beamed ceilings; good carved wood
Gothick chimneypiece by W. Fowler. William Fowler, 1761-1832, architect,
builder and engraver, is chiefly famous for his antiquarian and
architectural engravings, for which he received widespread patronage from
scholars, gentry and royalty. His son Joseph, 1791-1882, also an architect
and builder, lived here after his marriage in 1828. J.T. Fowler, The
Correspondence of William Fowler, 1907. N. Pevsner and J Harris, The
Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 426.
Listing NGR: SE9269318626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings