History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Humberstones

A Grade II Listed Building in Bitton, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4278 / 51°25'40"N

Longitude: -2.4433 / 2°26'35"W

OS Eastings: 369279

OS Northings: 169962

OS Grid: ST692699

Mapcode National: GBR JY.P63T

Mapcode Global: VH88X.LCQS

Entry Name: Humberstones

Listing Date: 11 May 1953

Last Amended: 15 July 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319751

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28645

Location: Bitton, South Gloucestershire, BS30

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Bitton

Built-Up Area: Upton Cheyney

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Warmley Syston and Bitton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bitton

Listing Text


1.
5118 BITTON UPTON CHEYNEY
No 2 Humberstones
(formerly listed as
No 2 Marshfield Lane)
ST 6969 15/35A 11.5.53.
II GV
2.
Abuts left end of Mr Ollis's stores. C16 or early C17 cottage in rubble with
pantile roofs. Gabled projecting wing to right, flat coping to gable, stone
stack at apex and projecting chimney breast in diminishing stages up front
elevation of wing. Left hand section has one window per floor, 3 and 4-light
casements with convex-moulded wooden mullions. Inward facing elevation wing
has modern door under wooden lintel and one later 2-light casement to ground
floor. Modern 2 storey extension to left with 2 storey gable end bay. To
rear: one pair of windows in slight break, door abuts to right of this and
has stopped-ovolo surround.
Interior: Main part has large fireplace. Projecting wing has a good moulded
3 centred arch headed fireplace, centre part, with keystone and rosette, restored.
This building was used in the late C18 and early C19 by an independant non-conformist
congregation (followers of Cennick) who later built the Congregational Chapel
(qv) 1834.


Listing NGR: ST6927969962

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.