History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4619 / 51°27'42"N

Longitude: -2.5126 / 2°30'45"W

OS Eastings: 364483

OS Northings: 173786

OS Grid: ST644737

Mapcode National: GBR CVG.HS

Mapcode Global: VH88P.DJJ4

Entry Name: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 5 February 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1319772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 28707

Location: South Gloucestershire, BS15

County: South Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Kingswood

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Warmley

Listing Text


1.
5118 EX-KINGSWOOD UD BLACKHORSE ROAD
(west side)
Wesleyan Methodist
Chapel
ST 6473 9/159 5.2.79
II GV
2.
1843, close to original chapels and schools begun by John Wesley. Rendered
walling, ashlar plinth. Low pitched modern tile roof, end gables. Each
long elevation has 4 windows on 2 levels, the upper ones being tall with
semi-circular heads, small panes, some coloured glass, moulded surrounds
to window heads, moulded impost band, plain cill band. Plain square-headed
openings to lower windows. Wide angle pilasters, moulded eaves cornice,
breaking forward round pilasters with modillion capping. Entrance elevation
to north has open pediment with tablet "Wesleyan Chapel 1843" in tympanum,
3 tall semi-circular headed windows set close together on upper level,
central "solid" porch to ground floor with semi-circular headed entrance
door opening, and similar opening each side of porch. These have double
wooden doors under painted arched fanlights, moulded heads and impost band
carried around porch. Transverse wing of lower height to south end elevation.
Said to contain original (1843) galleried interior and fittings.


Listing NGR: ST6448373786

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.