This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4275 / 51°25'39"N
Longitude: -2.4439 / 2°26'38"W
OS Eastings: 369234
OS Northings: 169930
OS Grid: ST692699
Mapcode National: GBR JX.PCZ7
Mapcode Global: VH88X.LCCZ
Entry Name: Upton House
Listing Date: 15 July 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319777
English Heritage Legacy ID: 28515
Location: Bitton, South Gloucestershire, BS30
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Bitton
Built-Up Area: Upton Cheyney
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Warmley Syston and Bitton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5118 BITTON BREWERY HILL
ST 6969 15/30
Front part rebuilt in 1857 in Tudor style, incorporating early C18 house.
Two earlier gabled wings project to rear. Rubble with stone tiled roofs
and pairs of diagonally set chimney stacks, the east chimney also has
a gabled belfry.
East front has 1857 gable end to left in slight break with moulded heads
to irregular casement windows. Crenellated link to south front. Lower
2 storey rendered wing with coped verges and 2 ashlar chimneys with moulded
stacks. Raised quoins, modillion cornice and blocking course. On first
floor 2 segment headed glazing bar sashes in keyed architraves, one to
ground floor right and a pair to left.
South front 2 and a half storeys. Two projecting gables, centre recess
for entrance with crenellated parapet and gabled dormers. Coped gables
with saddlestones. Three bays, 2-light windows to attic, 3-light to outer
first floor windows and 1-3-1 light crenellated bays to outer ground floor
windows, all with moulded heads and transoms, upper floors with drips.
Centre bay has angled first floor oriel bay with lozenge shaped label
stops, crenellated parapet and foiled heads to transom lights, escutcheon
below inscribed 'JP' over 1857. Entrance set in tripartite screen with
headstops to label, and foil heads, centre has Tudor arch doorway with
moulded panel door.
North front has 2 projecting gables, on ground floor with 3-light mullion
windows with drips, on first floor segment-headed glazing bar sashes in
architraves with acanthus leaf keys; moulded plinth; wings linked by central
porch, bracket cornice to doorway; oval keyed windows in gables. Single
storey extension to north-east is mid-C19 with cell and warden's room
(for manoriel court). Interior: rich Jacobean-style staircase with fret-carved
newels with pierced finials and splat balusters, Tudor style fittings
including elaborate ceiling cornices and fireplaces.
Listing NGR: ST6923469930
Other nearby listed buildings