This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9075 / 53°54'27"N
Longitude: -1.3447 / 1°20'41"W
OS Eastings: 443145
OS Northings: 445903
OS Grid: SE431459
Mapcode National: GBR MR18.N0
Mapcode Global: WHDB7.91WR
Entry Name: Building Facing Car Park at South East End of Thorp Arch Mill (Premises of Blanella Limited
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319990
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342031
Location: Thorp Arch, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Thorp Arch
Built-Up Area: Boston Spa
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thorp-Arch All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 4245-4345 THORP ARCH BRIDGE FOOT
LS23 (west side, off)
6/108 Building facing car-
park at south-east end
of Thorp Arch Mill
(premiss of Blanella
Water mill now part of factory. Late C17; raised C18, altered C20. Coursed,
squared magnesian limestone, Welsh slate and stone slate roofs. 2 storeys
with basement and attic, 3 cells; short, lower wing to rear right. Basement
(partly buried as a result of infilling) has 3 doorways: that to left has a
deep, chamfered lintel with triangular soffit; central doorway has deep C17
lintel cut out to form a shallow segmental arch and dated 1867; doorway to
right is chamfered and has basket-arched lintel. Set higher between the
doorways are boarded 3-light double-chamfered windows without their mullions.
1st floor: 2 casement windows beneath segmental arches; small window to far
right; double-chamfered, 2-light window without mullion on left. Above these
windows the walling is of later date; 2 half-dormers to the attic floor.
Rear: similar fenestration; to centre of wall is a corbelled C17 external
stack now capped off; wing on left has stone slate root. Left return:
blocked basement opening with wooden lintel; incomplete double-chamfered
window on right; C20 casement to gable beneath corniced C18 opening. Right
return: later external steps to a wide, chamfered and quoined doorway with
cambered lintel and raised keystone. High-level doorway gives access to
bridqe (not of special Interest) forming link to range of buildings to north-
Interior:central cell of basement (filled with debris at time of resurvey,
1987) has buried front windows; left cell houses water wheel with cast-iron
hub and remains of wooden spokes. Later floor and roof structures.
Built as a rape-seed oil mill and later used to manufacture paper and then
bobbins, Ralph Thoresby of Leeds notes in his diary of 1691 (Atkinson p.321)
that he rode with Mr. Ibbertson "to view the lately erected rape-mill at
D. H. Atkinson,Ralph Thoresby : The Topographer. His Town and Times, Vol 1,
Listing NGR: SE4314545903
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings