History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Tower and Walls of Monastic Church Approximately 250 Metres South of Priory Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maxstoke, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4781 / 52°28'41"N

Longitude: -1.6562 / 1°39'22"W

OS Eastings: 423445

OS Northings: 286742

OS Grid: SP234867

Mapcode National: GBR 5JQ.N2D

Mapcode Global: VHBWH.7ZS5

Entry Name: Remains of Tower and Walls of Monastic Church Approximately 250 Metres South of Priory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 8 September 1961

Last Amended: 23 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309016

Location: Maxstoke, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Maxstoke

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Maxstoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Shustoke

Listing Text

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD
SP2386 (South side)
17/111 Remains of tower and walls of
08/09/61 monastic church approx. 250m S
of Priory Farmhouse
(Formerly listed as Remains of
tower and walls of monastic
church)
GV II*
Remains of tower comprising the north east corner almost to original height and
the chancel arch. Squared and coursed sandstone. Chancel arch 2-centred and of
hollow and roll moulded orders. Parts only of the north and south transept
arches remain. 3 mouldings to each face dying into the pier. Above the chancel
arch is a round headed opening. The gable of the chancel roof is visible in the
east wall of the tower. Originally the central crossing tower of the priory
church of the Augustinian Canons founded in 1336 by William de Clinton, Earl of
Huntingdon, and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument.
(VCH; Warwickshire: Vol IV; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p349)


Listing NGR: SP2344586742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.