This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9372 / 51°56'13"N
Longitude: -0.6963 / 0°41'46"W
OS Eastings: 489720
OS Northings: 227326
OS Grid: SP897273
Mapcode National: GBR D1J.JRQ
Mapcode Global: VHDTM.WK7S
Entry Name: Chelmscote Manor
Listing Date: 26 September 1951
Last Amended: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350778
Location: Soulbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Soulbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Soulbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 NE SOULBURY B448 (CHELMSCOTE)
3/40 Chelmscote Manor
(formerly listed as
Chelmscott Manor House)
House, part originally chapel. Mid C14 converted to house C16-
Cl7, restored and extended C20. Original range to south is of
greensand rubble with some clunch dressings and has diagonal
corner buttresses, that to N.E. corner missing. Hipped old tile roof,
now truncated below the ridge line which survives only in a small
section around the chimney. Chimney is between right-hand bays and
is of brick, rebuilt. 2 storeys, S. front of 3 bays. C20 stone
mullion windows, 3-light to right bay and ground floor of centre bay,
2-light to first floor of centre and to ground flooor of left bay.
Ground floor windows have flat hoodmoulds. Traces of gables, outlined
in limestone, between bays, that to left over blocked doorway, that
to right over C14 arch now sheltered by C20 gabled stone porch with
arched double doors. Left side has similar windows, entrance and
basement windows. Right side has C20 3-light window to first floor and
C20 shallow projection with parapet and 5-light window to ground floor.
Parallel range to north in matching style is dated 1956 over door
in E. end. Later C20 brick range with leaded casements is attached
to N.W. corner. Internal C14 remains of chapel include: entrance
arch on N. side; squints in N. and S. walls, each with moulded stone
surround and cusped arch; cusped piscina in S. wall near E. end;
doorway and squint in N. wall at first floor level. Double-sided
fireplace inserted late C16-C17, the W. side with curved brace to
moulded spine beam. Similar moulded spine beams to other ground
floor rooms all ornamented with small blank heraldic shields.
RCHM II p. 269 Mon. 4.
Listing NGR: SP8972027326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings