This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9348 / 51°56'5"N
Longitude: -0.7183 / 0°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 488212
OS Northings: 227028
OS Grid: SP882270
Mapcode National: GBR D1H.R5X
Mapcode Global: VHDTM.HMLN
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350791
Location: Soulbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Soulbury
Built-Up Area: Soulbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Soulbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 82 NE SOULBURY HIGH ROAD
3/52 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14 chancel and aisles added to earlier nave;
aisles altered C15 and early C16; nave arcades, clerestorey and
W. tower built early C16; C15 S. porch; much restored 1863 by G.E.
Street. Greensand rubble with limestone dressings, tiled roof to
chancel, lead roofs to remainder. Restored concrete parapets.
W. tower of 3 stages has octagonal stair turret slightly projecting
from S.W. corner, 3-light openings to bell-chamber and 4-light
traceried window to W. 2-bay clerestory of 3-light windows with
flat hoodmoulds. N. aisle has C14 windows with reticulated tracery in
E. bays 2-light to E. and 3-light to N. other windows are early C16
each of 3-lights, 2 to N. flanking C14 moulded doorway Aisle is
continued to VO end of tower, S. aisle has 2 bays of late C15-C16
3-light traceried windows and similar C14 doorway. S. porch
has altered battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses, double
chamfered 2-centred arch, and pair of trefoil - headed lancets in
each side wall. Chancel has much restored Decorated windows, 3-
light in E. bay, 2-light to centre, 2-light lowside windows, small
moulded No door, and large 3-light window to E. Interior: tower
has tall wide arch to nave and smaller arch to N. aisle, both slightly
4-centred, on semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps. Nave has
2 bays of similar arches and restored C16 roof with moulded tie-
beams, purlins and ridge, the tie beams on braces with small carved
heraldic angels. Arch to rood-loft stairs in N.E. corner. C16
roofs to aisles. No aisle has restored piscina, S. aisle has
cinquefoil piscina, 2 arched recesses in E. wall, and squint to chancel.
Double chamfered chancel arch on short semi-octagonal piers with
moulded caps and tall bases., Chancel has sill course, recess in N.
wall with moulded ogee arch, much restoredtriple sedilia with trefoil
arches and C19 roof. Fittings: C15 octagonal font with traceried
panels, borders of old glass in windows, chest dated 1731, other
fittings C19-C20. Monuments: (1) Robert Lovett and wife 1609 with
kneeling figures infront of double arcade with flanking obelisks;
(2) Eleanor Lovett d. 1786, with classical female figure reclining on
urn over traceried inscription panels, of Coade stone and signed
"Coade and Sealy"; (3) marble monument to Robert Lovett 1701,
attributed to Grinling Gibbons, with urn on sarcophagus, relief of
cherubs and clouds behind, crest with carved fruit swags, and
flanking obelisks with eagle finials and weeping putti in front.
(4) black marble obelisk to Verney Lovett 1771; (5) pedimented
wall monument to Robert Lovett 1740; (6) grey marble obelisk to
Jonathan Lovett 1770; (7) monument to John Sambee 1728; (8) other
wall tablets to Lovett family.
RCHMII p. 266-268.
Listing NGR: SP8821227028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings