This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1297 / 53°7'46"N
Longitude: -2.3737 / 2°22'25"W
OS Eastings: 375091
OS Northings: 359234
OS Grid: SJ750592
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z.6ZXS
Mapcode Global: WH9B0.HLWK
Entry Name: Trent and Mersey Canal House and Attached Warehouse
Listing Date: 5 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351196
Location: Sandbach, Cheshire East, CW11
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Sandbach
Built-Up Area: Sandbach
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Wheelock Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SANDBACH TRENT AND MERSEY
SJ 75 NE
CANAL (south side)
918- /5/10003 House and Attached Warehouse
at 464 Crewe Road/Wheelock
House and attached warehouse. Built in 4 separate stages; late C18 and early-mid C19. Red brick and painted brick with slate roofs and plain tile roof to main warehouse section. House has 3 storeys plus cellar and fronts onto Crewe Road. Central entrance with one window to either side. Those to ground and 1st floors have splayed stone segmental arched lintels. C20 door. Segmental headed entrance and window level with canal towpath to left side gable end/cellar. Short wing continuous with 3-storey warehouse to rear, alongside canal.
Main section, built in 2 stages, has two 2-storey loading bays with segmental headed openings to canal side elevation. Window openings to either side to each storey to central (original) section (that to left of ground floor is bricked up). Those to ground and 1st floors have segmental arched lintels. Unusually there is a chimney stack (left side ridge), probably an early an early addition. Gable end section to left side with lower pitched roof probably added around mid C19. Segmental headed loading door to left of 1st floor. Segmental headed openings to ground and 1st floors. Formerly with large segmental headed loading door to gable end (now bricked up and replaced by late C20 ground floor garage door opening). Wooden plank doors. Windows boarded up or with late C20 panes. Dentillated eaves bands to warehouse and house. Part of a group of early canal buildings built around Wheelock Wharf. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall.
Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)
Listing NGR: SJ7509159234
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings