History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pavilion at South East Corner of Forecourt at Newbold Verdon Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbold Verdon, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6298 / 52°37'47"N

Longitude: -1.3472 / 1°20'50"W

OS Eastings: 444279

OS Northings: 303758

OS Grid: SK442037

Mapcode National: GBR 7L1.277

Mapcode Global: WHDJF.85Q8

Entry Name: Pavilion at South East Corner of Forecourt at Newbold Verdon Hall

Listing Date: 18 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188550

Location: Newbold Verdon, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Newbold Verdon

Built-Up Area: Newbold Verdon

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Newbold de Verdun

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Newbold Verdon

Listing Text

NEWBOLD VERDON MAIN STREET
SK 40 SW
(south side)
5/39 Pavilion at SE corner
18.6.86 of Forecourt at
Newbold Verdon Hall

G.V. II

Former pavilion block now a farm building. c. 1700 with C19 and C20
alterations. Red brick, plain tile hipped roof with plastered coved eaves
cornice probably replacing timber eaves cornice. The southern of a
symmetrical pair of pavilions which framed the axial entry to the forecourt
of Newbold Verdon Hall. The northern matching pavilion was demolished
c.1965. Similar to the SW and NW pavilions, but not as high and longer
single storey. In the north wall a central single window with upper part
blocked and later window inserted below, 2 similar windows in the south
wall, the right hand window completely and the left hand window partly
blocked in brick. The west wall has large C20 cart entries at either end
replacing earlier openings, a smaller C19 cart entry in the centre with
boarded doors and a blocked opening above. A c. 1700 window partly blocked
or infilled with a later window to either side of central entry. The west
wall is blank except for a central inserted and blocked doorway. Unless
altered all c.1700 windows retain rubbed brick flat arched heads.
Internally four roof trusses and plaster ceiling with exposed stop
chamfered principal beams. It forms part of an important group with the
house and other pavilions in the forecourt.


Listing NGR: SK4427903758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.