History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fearon Fountain

A Grade II Listed Building in Charnwood, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7714 / 52°46'17"N

Longitude: -1.2065 / 1°12'23"W

OS Eastings: 453632

OS Northings: 319609

OS Grid: SK536196

Mapcode National: GBR 8KT.7SD

Mapcode Global: WHDHQ.FLQQ

Entry Name: Fearon Fountain

Listing Date: 5 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320309

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189429

Location: Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE11

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Town: Charnwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Loughborough Southfields

Built-Up Area: Loughborough

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Loughborough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Loughborough

Listing Text

SK 5319 NE MARKET PLACE
10/58
Fearon Fountain

II


Drinking fountain, dated 1870 above north arch, restored 1981. Ashlar, with
polished Aberdeen granite columns, and late C19 cast-iron lamp above. Square-based
canopied structure on a rustic basement (raised on plain plinth dated 1981), carried
on squat columns with stylised foliage capitals, with cusped, round-headed arches,
bracketed cornice, traceried gables (north one carries shield of arms) and polished
marble basins to north and south. Lions' heads to east and west. Inscribed "Our
common mercies/loudly call/for praise to God/who gave them all". Metal plaque to
west records "The Fearon Fountain presented to the town by Archdeacon Fearon to mark
the provision of Loughborough's first public water supply in 1870. Renovated as
part of the Market Place enhancement 1981"


Listing NGR: SK5363219609

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.