History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Midland Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Loughborough Southfields, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7711 / 52°46'15"N

Longitude: -1.2064 / 1°12'22"W

OS Eastings: 453640

OS Northings: 319569

OS Grid: SK536195

Mapcode National: GBR 8KT.7TM

Mapcode Global: WHDHQ.FLRZ

Entry Name: Midland Bank

Listing Date: 5 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320336

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189431

Location: Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE11

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Town: Charnwood

Electoral Ward/Division: Loughborough Southfields

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Loughborough

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Loughborough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Loughborough

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/06/2016

SK 5319 NE
10/60

MARKET PLACE(east side)
No 41 (Midland Bank)

II
Bank designed by Goddard Paget and Goddard of Leicester, one of nine designed for the Leicetershire Bank, built 1893 (on column), polished pink granite plinth. Portland stone front, Swithland slate roofs. "Mixed Renaissance" manner. Three-storeys, 6 window range, 1-4-1, entrance projections to each side. Main entrance, to left, has shallow distyle porch with part-fluted' columns carrying plaques dated 1829 and 1893. Similar columns appear between the 1st floor windows of the central block and, in pilaster form, flanking the subsidiary entrance to the right, which has a semi-circular window above, flanked by decorative finials. This doorway is now blocked. 1st floor columns carry "Free Ionic" entablature, with finials above. 2nd floor has "Corinthian" order, with shell-headed niches between columns. Parapet of round-headed arches with keystones carried miniature obelisks. Three-light windows to main block, 2-light windows to entrance projections. Ground floor windows have 2 transoms, upper floors one. Lower panes in each case of clear glass, upper ones with decorative leading (except in 5 cases where replaced by modern ventilators). Steep roofs with decorative lead finials, hipped above central block, pyramidal above wings. Interior has been refitted and is not of special architectural interest.

Listing NGR: SK5364019569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.