This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7512 / 51°45'4"N
Longitude: -1.2469 / 1°14'48"W
OS Eastings: 452085
OS Northings: 206105
OS Grid: SP520061
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.3LG
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.B7PV
Entry Name: The Library and Herbarium of the Botanic Gardens
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320377
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245495
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The Library and
Herbarium of the
SP 5206 SW 10/422 12.1.54.
The Library and Herbarium consists of 2 buildings, now including Magdalen
(a) The South elavation was originally of one storey built to form the eastern-most
orangery, or plant house, in 1733-35 for which William Townesend, the Oxford
mason-architect, was paid in 1736. It was raised by one storey when H J
Underwood designed the porter's lodge on the west and (b) the North elevation.
The South elevation now consists of 2-storeyed ashlar with a moulded cornice
at the 1st floor and a parapet with a moulded cornice below it. There is
a 2-storeyed 3-sided bay with a central doorway flanked by a window. The
tall sash windows have plain recessed reveals and rusticated keystones. The
additional storey of C1835 is in the same style; at this time the building
became the Professor's house.
(b) The North elevation, c.1835 by Underwood is 2-storeyed ashlar on a rusticated
ground floor and having a centre piece of 4 engaged Doric columns breaking
forward, a moulded entablature and a parapet. 5 tall sash windows in moulded
frames with scroll bracketed cornices: in the ground floor are 5 small sash
All the listed bui1dings on the South Side form a group.
Listing NGR: SP5208606106
Other nearby listed buildings