This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9829 / 54°58'58"N
Longitude: -1.656 / 1°39'21"W
OS Eastings: 422110
OS Northings: 565418
OS Grid: NZ221654
Mapcode National: GBR JBWT.8K
Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.J0MW
Entry Name: St Mary's Training College Administration Block and Chapel
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320395
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304549
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Fenham
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Fenham St James and St Basil
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE FENHAM HAIL DRIVE
17/12/71 St. Mary's Training
block and chapel.
House. Fenham Hall, 1748 by D. Garrett, with south tympanum carved by James
Guthrie, for John Ord, mayor of Newcastle. North front and wings early C19 by
Newton; east front mid C19. Became R.C. Convent school and college in 1905.
Sandstone ashlar. North front Flemish bond brick with ashlar dressings and quoins.
Graduated Lakeland slate roofs. E-plan. 2 storeys. Original garden front: 9
bays with 13-bay pedimented projecting centre, set-back outer bays. Plinth band.
Arcaded ground floor centre has central niche. All windows altered in original
architraves, those on ground floor outer bays with pulvinated friezes and pediments.
Top cornice and parapet. Ord arms in pediment. Entrance front 11 bays: end bays
project deeply with quoins; 3 central bays project with giant Tuscan engaged
columns and pediment. Central door, up 5 steps, and sashes with glazing bars, all
in architraves; ground floor cornices. 9-bay east front, in French C18 style,
has central door under open segmental pediment. Interior: 1908 chapel has Ionic
Order to chancel and reredos arches; entablature; panelled, low barrel-vaulted
ceiling. Original interior destroyed by fire in 1908. About to become empty at
time of survey. Sources: E. Mackenzie View of the County of Northumberland
Newcastle 1825 p.410; Society of the Sacred Heart St. Mary's College Fenham
Listing NGR: NZ2211065418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings