This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3236 / 51°19'24"N
Longitude: -2.3716 / 2°22'17"W
OS Eastings: 374203
OS Northings: 158343
OS Grid: ST742583
Mapcode National: GBR 0R2.TFX
Mapcode Global: VH96S.VZ3Q
Entry Name: South West Entrance to Wellow Tunnel, 20 Yards to North West of Church Farm
Listing Date: 19 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32365
Location: Wellow, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Wellow
Built-Up Area: Wellow
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 7458 WELLOW C.P. HIGH STREET
South-west entrance to
G.V. Wellow Tunnel, 20 yards to
north-west of Church Farm
South-west entrance to Wellow Tunnel. Circa 1800 for the Somersetshire Coal
Canal. The survey for the canal was William Smith "the Father of British Geology",
under the supervision of John Rennie. The engineer was William Bennet.
Coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings. Semi-circular arch with
keystone. Band. Pilaster strips to either side and high coped parapet. The
interior of the tunnel is masonry lined. The southern (Midford-Radstock) branch
of the Somersetshire Coal Canal was completed in 1798 but was abandoned in 1815
when a tramway was laid along it.
Listing NGR: ST7420158342
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings