History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Batheaston, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4098 / 51°24'35"N

Longitude: -2.3213 / 2°19'16"W

OS Eastings: 377748

OS Northings: 167910

OS Grid: ST777679

Mapcode National: GBR 0Q5.FYG

Mapcode Global: VH96F.QT5M

Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 February 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32147

Location: Batheaston, Bath and North East Somerset, BA1

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Batheaston

Built-Up Area: Bath

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Batheaston

Listing Text

ST 7767 BATHEASTON C.P. NORTHEND
(West side)
7/105
1.2.56 Parish Church of St. John
the Baptist
G.V.
II*

Parish Church. C12th church, remodelled late C15th; west tower and nave rebuilt
mid C19th; north aisle, c. 1834 by John Pinch, the Younger of Bath; restored by
F. Preedy; south aisle and south porch c,1866-1868 by F. Preedy of Worcester and
London; chancel c.1860. Coursed squared rubble; Cotswold stone slate roof on
chancel, slate roofs elsewhere. West tower: 4 stages with pierced embattled
parapet; setback buttresses; projecting octagonal stairs, turret at south-east
which terminates in spirelet; pointed perpendicular 2-light windows with cusped
heads; east side has canopied niche containing figure, probably St. John.
South aisle: south wall is identical in design with original south wall of nave;
it was simply moved and rebuilt by Preedy; variety of perpendicular windows;
vestigial and now anachronistic protrusion for rood stair. South porch: also
moved and rebuilt in facsimile by Preedy incorporating mediaeval work;
panelled perpendicular parapet; depressed ogee hood to south door, heavily
moulded with fleurons in hollow chamfer. Chancel: all 1860 with geometric east
window. Sanctus bell cote on the east gable of nave. Interior: 5 bag nave
with perpendicular arcade, probably of 1834 to north and 1868 to south. 2 bay
chancel. Fonts: (1) octagonal on baluster stem, c,1700-1715; (2) 1869; Reredos,
1878. 18th wall tablet on south chancel wall. Dobbie B.M.W., An English Rural
Community, 1969.


Listing NGR: ST7774867910

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.