This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3982 / 51°23'53"N
Longitude: -2.306 / 2°18'21"W
OS Eastings: 378805
OS Northings: 166615
OS Grid: ST788666
Mapcode National: GBR 0QC.CSM
Mapcode Global: VH96M.Z38Z
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Swithun's
Listing Date: 1 February 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32213
Location: Bathford, Bath and North East Somerset, BA1
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Bathford
Built-Up Area: Bath
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 7866-7966 BATHFORD C.P. CHURCH STREET
1.2.56 Parish Church of St.
Parish Church of St. Swithun's. Romanesque origins: restored by F. Preedy of
London and Worcester; West tower (1879-80); north aisle and porch 1856; south
aisle and nave 1870-72; chancel, north and south chancel chapels. Coursed,
squared rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof. West tower: 3 stages,
pierced parapet with finials, angle buttresses, 2-light lancet openings to bell
chamber. Aisles: panelled bracery with foiled heads. 3-bay nave with Early
English style arcades. 2 bay chancel. Font: C13th, octagonal with scalloped
underside. Pulpit: Jacobean, finely carved with Biblical text on frieze,
raised on stone base by Preedy (1870). Monuments: 2 lettered tablets in north
wall of chancel; Philip Ellis 1661; Thomas Hendy 1676; south wall Marie Herd
1674. Elizabeth Phillips, 1759 by John Ford of Bath.
Listing NGR: ST7880566615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings