History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bath, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3974 / 51°23'50"N

Longitude: -2.3216 / 2°19'17"W

OS Eastings: 377722

OS Northings: 166536

OS Grid: ST777665

Mapcode National: GBR 0QC.7W2

Mapcode Global: VH96M.Q40K

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 1 February 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320551

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32021

Location: Bathampton, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Bathampton

Built-Up Area: Bath

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bathampton

Listing Text

ST 7766 BATHAMPTON C.P. MILL LANE
(Eastside)
8/20
1.2.56 Parish Church of St.
Nicholas
G.V
II*

Parish Church of St. Nicholas. C13th origins; C15th alterations and tower; but
considerably restored and North aisle built in 1858 by A.S. Goodridge of Bath;
and chancel restored 1882 by C.E. Davis of Bath; these C19th retorations
completely obliterated Ralph Allen's Gothick restoration of the mid C18th
Ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; slate roof behind pierced quatrefoil
parapets; West tower; Nave; North and South aisles; South Porch; Chancel.
Tower: 3 stages, diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with pinnacles;
octagonal stair turret; single perpendicular bell chamber window. Restored
windows in aisles and chancel. Mutilated effigy (?Bishop or Prioress) in niche
under East window (probably C16th). Interior. Early English Chancel Arch
(restored), triple lancet East window. Australia Chapel in south aisle contains
memorials to Allen family: Philip Allen, 1763; Ralph Allen 1977; Charles
Holder 1763. In Chancel other C18th and C19th wall plaques and tablets
especially Robert Fisher, 1795. Mutilated C14th effigy on window cill of west
window of south aisle. Victorian Font.


Listing NGR: ST7772266536

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.