History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

83, HIGH STREET (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7524 / 51°45'8"N

Longitude: -1.2505 / 1°15'1"W

OS Eastings: 451836

OS Northings: 206238

OS Grid: SP518062

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.2PB

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.86SX

Entry Name: 83, HIGH STREET (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 12 January 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320571

English Heritage Legacy ID: 245517

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
1485
(South Side)
No 83 (Now part of No 84)
SP 5106 SE 9/415A 12.1.54.
II GV
2.
House and modern shop. Late C18 4-storeyed stuccoed front with cellars
and a rusticated ground floor shop. There is a moulded cornice and 2 composite
pilasters, the caps of which are carved with heads of Bacchus. Above the
cornice is the 3rd floor which has 2 blind sash windows. 4-panel door with
rectangular light over. The 1st floor has an iron balcony and a 3-light
late C18 Venetian window. There is a stone band at the 2nd floor which has
2 sash windows in plain reveals. History. A tenement here was known as
the Angel in 1552; in 1778 it has been "the principal Inn for more than a
century" ; in 1835 Queen Adelaide held a drawing room here. No 83 was the
coffee room and the rest of the inn extended eastwards on to the site of
the Examination schools but in 1828 No 84 was also part of the inn. Certain
repairs were done circa 1765 (Oxf Hist Soc LXIX (1916), 343). It ceased
to be an inn in 1866. See also ib XV (1889), 131; XXI (1892), 156; LVI
(1914) Plan VI and for leases and tenants pp. 184-6; also Boswell's Johnson
and Torington Diaries, I, 5.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.


Listing NGR: SP5183106239

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.