This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5782 / 50°34'41"N
Longitude: -4.8165 / 4°48'59"W
OS Eastings: 200685
OS Northings: 79167
OS Grid: SX006791
Mapcode National: GBR ZV.HQ4T
Mapcode Global: FRA 07SJ.Z7X
Entry Name: Tresungers
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351345
Location: St. Endellion, Cornwall, PL29
Civil Parish: St. Endellion
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Endellion
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NW ST ENDELLION
House. Circa late C16 with porch probably added in 1660 for I and M Matthews.
(Datestone IM 1660 MM). Early C18, early C19 and erly and mid C20 alterations. Stone
rubble with three storey tower of ashlar stone and part of front wall rebuilt with
ashlar stone. Moulded granite strings. Slate roof with gable ends to cross wing on
left and gable end on right. Battlemented parapet to projecting three-storey
entrance tower on front. Projecting stone rubble side lateral chimney stack heating
front room of service cross wing on left and projecting stone rubble gable end stack
to rear. Both with brick shafts. Axial stack at angle of main range and cross wing
on left with shaft removed in mid C20. Projecting rear lateral stone rubble hall
stack on right with brick shaft.
Plan; Circa late C16 house appears to have comprised a central range containing a
cross passage with the hall at the higher end on the right, heated by a rear lateral
stack and a parlour at the lower end in the left, heated by an axial stack at the
lower end. Timber newel stair to rear at lower side of parlour. Service range in
cross wing at lower side of parlour with front room heated by side lateral stack and
rear room by gable end stack. At the higher side of the hall, there appears to be
some evidence to indicate the previous existence of a now demolished range which may
have projected in a cross wing thus producing an overall 'H' shaped plan. In circa
1660 the front projecting three storey entrance tower was added, possibly replacing
an earlier porch. In circa early C18 the parlour was remodelled and divided up with
a corridor inserted across the front, a dairy to the rear, the area infront of the
newel stair was divided to form a small stair hall and the lower stage of the stair
remodelled. The parlour fireplace was also probably blocked at this stage. In circa
early C19 a further service range was added at the lower end of the cross wing and
the earlier service wing was remodelled, probably with a parlour on the front. In
circa early C20 the hall was partly remodelled with the partition on the higher side
of the cross passage removed, a further partition inserted dividing the hall and a
C20 stair inserted. In circa mid C20 the front gable end of the crosswing on left
was partly rebuilt.
Two storeys with three storey entrance tower. Projecting wing on front left and
projecting entrance tower to right of centre. Regular overall 5-window front. 3
storey tower with moulded plinth and strings and battlemented cornice. 4-centred
granite arch with roll mould, vase-shaped stops, hood mould and incised spandrels.
Datestone IM 1660 MM above which would appear to indicate date of addition of porch
although the entrance appears to be of a somewhat archaic design. However, as this
outer entrance is identical to the inner entrance, it is possible that the design was
copied. The inner oak door is probably C17; studded double construction with the
outer skin comprising four wide vertical boards, grooved with scratch moulds to give
the impression of several narrow vertical boards. First floor with 4-light mullion
window with central king mullion, hollow chamfer, diagonal leaded lights and opening
casement. Second floor with partly-blocked 3-light mullion window with hood mould.
Range to right of tower with eight-light mullion hall window with alternating king
mullions, continuous drip mould partly removed and diagonal leaded lights renewed in
1940's. First floor with 4-light mullion window with central king mullion in half
dormer with raking roof. Hood mould. To left of porch, range probably remodelled in
mid C18 with C19 sashes. Ground floor with 16-pane hornless sash on left and blocked
window on right. First floor with two 16-pane sashes. Projecting wing on front left
with front wall rebuilt and mullion windows reset. 6-light mullion window with
alternating king mullions, hood mould, diagonal leaded glass and two small opening
casements. First floor with 4-light mullion window with diagonal leaded glass and
two small opening casements.
Rear elevation with masonry possibly partly rebuilt. Blocked entrance door to rear
of lower end of hall, and circa C16 partly blocked granite 4-centred arch with
chamfer to rear of parlour, C20 rear door reputed to be in earlier opening,
diagonally opposite front entrance.
Interior: circa C17 entrance door with draw bar in situ. Hall to right with
fireplace blocked. Parlour remodelled in circa early C18 with moulded plaster
cornice to corridor running across front, dairy to rear with ovolo-moulded doorframe
and stair hall in remodelled lower end of parlour. Lower stage of timber newel, stair
remodelled in circa early C18 with closed string, square newel, vase shaped turned
balusters and moulded flat rail. Stair gate with flat asymmetrical vase shaped
balusters. Service range in cross wing on left remodelled in C19. Front room with
circa C19 panelling, possibly with earlier panelling surviving beneath. First floor
with circa C17 ovolo moulded doorcase to solar above wing with ornate carved stepped
and scroll stops ornamented with carved rosettes. Studded door to chamber above
hall, circa C17 with moulded cover strips.
Roof: Circa late C16 roof structure above main range and cross wing. Main range
seven bays with principals morticed at apices, originally with diagonal set ridge.
Unchamfered collars with two tiers of holes for threaded purlins (removed) and common
rafters truncated below collar level. Roof structure above porch replaced in circa
C19. Cross wing of seven bays has principals with slightly curved feet and morticed
apices originally carrying threaded diagonal set ridge (removed). Trenched and
threaded purlins (removed) and collars halved, lap-jointed and pegged onto face of
principals. One truss replaced in circa mid C20.
Circa early C19 service range continuing from left hand side of cross wing. Stone
rubble with slate roof. One and two storeys, arranged in an 'L' shaped overall plan
with a courtyard enclosed on left and rear by service range, right by main house and
stone rubble wall to front.
Tresungers is illustrated in a sketch by Frederick Trevan (1833-34) with a cross wing
at the higher (right hand) side of the hall; gable end to front with large mullion
window on ground floor. The illustration by Maclean published in 1879, was probably
drawn after the wing had been demolished.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall 1879
Trevan, Dr. Frederick The History of Port Isaac and Port Quin, 1833-34, typescript
Listing NGR: SX0068579167
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings