History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leigh Court Hospital

A Grade II* Listed Building in Abbots Leigh, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4696 / 51°28'10"N

Longitude: -2.6591 / 2°39'32"W

OS Eastings: 354316

OS Northings: 174724

OS Grid: ST543747

Mapcode National: GBR JM.LRTL

Mapcode Global: VH88L.VBM7

Entry Name: Leigh Court Hospital

Listing Date: 16 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320671

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33407

Location: Abbots Leigh, North Somerset, BS8

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Abbots Leigh

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Abbots Leigh with Leigh Woods

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Pill

Listing Text

ST 57 SW ABBOTS LEIGH
4/11 Leigh Court Hospital

G.V. II*

Country house, now a hospital but to be vacated in 1983-84. 1814 by Thomas
Hopper for Philip Miles of Bristol. Ashlar; hipped slate roof; ashlar stacks.
In a severe Greek Revival style. 2 storeys, on a moulded plinth, cellars and
attics. The south-east and north-west elevations are identical. 3:3:3 bays;
the central 3 are slightly advanced with a detached portico of four giant,
unfluted Ionic columns, plain entablature and pediment; glazing bar sash windows
in plain reveals and central glazed doors. The north-east elevation is of 7 bays
with the central bays recessed behind four giant Ionic columns in antis; French
windows on ground floor, glazing bar sash windows on first floor, C20 fire escape
to right; the outer bays have tripartite windows (the outer lights are blank)
recessed in a segmental headed niche. To the south-west are attached service
wings: 2 storeys; 9 bays of glazing bar sash windows; the south-west end is
2:1:2 bays with end Ionic pilasters, the central bay has a segmental headed
window and doorway to a central passageway. The interior is highly elaborate
with very fine quality Grecian-style plasterwork. Entrance hall: the square
room has a central ring of eight marble Ionic columns which support a saucer dome;
decorative anthemion friezes; stone and marble patterned floor. Staircase hall:
long oblong room with two flights of cantilevered stone stairs which rise up
either side and meet on the first floor; elaborate iron balustrades with brass
inlaid handrail; galleries at first floor level with Ionic columns; coved and
coffered ceiling with tinted glazing; decorative anthemion frieze, Vitruvian
scroll to frieze below galleries; at the north-west end is an 1814 organ by Flight
and Robson incorporating a barrel and 2 banks of pipes joined by a frieze, free
Greek Revival details. Panelled doors throughout the building, all with brass
door furniture. Staff dining room (morning room), in east corner: late C19 in
an Adam/Wyatt style with an enriched plaster ceiling a frieze; fireplace with
paired Corinthian columns. Patients sitting room (library): flat coffered
ceilings with highly elaborate frieze and cornice. Tapestry (drawing) room, in
north corner: highly elaborate ceiling with central round panel flanked by
rectangular panels; elaborate gilded plasterwork and highly decorative architraves
to doors and windows. Room on centre of north-west side has a fine geometrical
pattern parquetry floor; decorative ceiling with a large circular centre and much
anthemion; elaborate friezes and architraves; retains original square chandelier
or gasolier of brass with etched glass. School room, in west corner, (dining
room): rectangular ceiling with vine leaves and grapes; figure frieze; large
plain marble fireplace with guilloche moulding, animal heads and claws to piers.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST5431674724

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.