History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chew Stoke School

A Grade II Listed Building in Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3524 / 51°21'8"N

Longitude: -2.6386 / 2°38'19"W

OS Eastings: 355623

OS Northings: 161670

OS Grid: ST556616

Mapcode National: GBR JN.V4YW

Mapcode Global: VH896.68XM

Entry Name: Chew Stoke School

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320749

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32970

Location: Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Chew Stoke

Built-Up Area: Chew Stoke

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chew Magna

Listing Text

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P SCHOOL LANE (north side)

3/74 Chew Stoke School

II

School. 1858 by Samuel Burleigh Gabriel on site of former charity school, founded
1718; further classroom built 1926, altered and extended 1970. Coursed squared
limestone rubble with stone dressings, plain tiled roofs with raised coped verges.
Asymmetrical composition with main school room to south east front. 4-bay
irregular front has from left, porch with blocked pointed segmental-headed door,
gable to left and 2 C20 windows to front; large gable with finial and datestone,
10-light mullion and transom window with chamfered surround and buttress below;
2nd gabled porch with similar blocked door; gable end of block to right (possibly
formerly teacher's accommodation) with 3-light stone bay window at ground floor
with relieving arch, 2-light casement with relieving arch at first floor. Right
return has at ground floor 2-light, 3-light and single light similar chamfered
window with relieving arch, 2nd bay from left has door in later gabled porch,
2 gabled attic windows of 2 lights each; rear has lean-to with C20 door, 2-light
window in gable end. Left return has gable end of hall to right with 10-light
mullion and transom window, relieving arch and bellcote, buttress to right; rear
wing to left has 8-light mullion and transom window and gable above, shouldered
door architrave with C20 door, side of hall gable end has door with strap hinges
and shouldered architrave; end block to left has 8-light mullion and transom window
and gable, C20 single storey flat-roofed addition at end of rear wing. Inner rear
side of rear wing has similar 8-light mullion and transom window. Interior: main
hall has 6-bay roof, pine boarded with moulded ribs, dedication plaque.


Listing NGR: ST5562361670

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.