History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairseat Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3502 / 51°21'0"N

Longitude: -2.6336 / 2°38'0"W

OS Eastings: 355973

OS Northings: 161423

OS Grid: ST559614

Mapcode National: GBR JP.V08R

Mapcode Global: VH896.9BL9

Entry Name: Fairseat Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320750

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32974

Location: Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Chew Stoke

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chew Magna

Listing Text

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. STOKE HILL (east side)

3/78 Fairseat Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse, now house. Mid C18, refronted and enlarged c.1860 with later
alterations and additions. Coursed limestone rubble, slate roofs with deep
bracketted eaves to front, some double Roman tiles. 2 storeys and 3 windows, all
6-pane sashes with wider central pane, central panelled and glazed door, porch
with 2 reeded columns on high plinths, frieze with leaf design in centre and
cornice, straight joint to right and left, string course above ground floor
windows, later C19 lean-to to right with pointed arched door; plaque recording
Wesley preaching at the house on 10th September 1790. Left return has single
light at attic level, straight joint towards rear and line of roof raising, ground
and first floor left have 16-pane sash, smaller at first floor. Right return has
small attic light to left and 2-light casement at first floor right; single
storey lean-to with C20 door and window. Rear has C20 plate glass window at
ground floor left, 16-pane sash above, mid C18 sash ground and first floor centre,
16-pane sash at ground and first floor right, all windows with stone surround and
keystone, cellar door to right with strap hinges. In August 1790 Fairseat
Farmhouse was "registered among the records of this County as a House set apart
for the worship of God and religious exercise for Protestant Dissenters"; at that
time belonged to Anna Maria Griffon; copy of document in house. (Sources:
Taunton County Record Office).


Listing NGR: ST5597361423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.