This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3589 / 51°21'32"N
Longitude: -2.4804 / 2°28'49"W
OS Eastings: 366649
OS Northings: 162317
OS Grid: ST666623
Mapcode National: GBR JW.TNSF
Mapcode Global: VH898.Y3LK
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320777
English Heritage Legacy ID: 32695
Location: Marksbury, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Marksbury
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST 66 SE MARKSBURY C.P. A39
Church of St. Peter
Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 origin, mainly C15, early C17 repairs, upper
stage of tower, late C18, extensive restoration of 1875, organ chamber 1897.
Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped
verges, crested clay ridge tiles. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel, organ
chamber. Mainly Perpendicular. Tower of 3 stages, first stage has diagonal
buttresses, a canted stair turret in the return of tower and nave and a very small
west door with a canted flat arch under a 2-light, chamfered mullion window dated
1634; second stage has a cusped 2-light window with heavy louvres to the north,
a blocked single light to the east and 2-light chamfered, vaguely pointed windows
south and west, contemporary with third stage which has one enormous, round headed
window with raised architrave and louvres per side, thin, embattled parapet
dominated by 4 pyramidal pinnacles with vanes. At south, the nave has two
2-light windows under hoodmoulds flanking a blocked, moulded round headed door
under a plaque dated 1627; at north 2 similar (that to west is thinner and
ogival) windows flank gabled north porch whose pointed outer door has a large
chamfered moulding from springer up, inner round head door has a heavy chamfer and
vestigial scallop capitals. The buttressed, off-centre chancel has to north one
window as elsewhere, 3-light east window of 1875, labels unfinished; lean-to
organ chamber to south has east window as elsewhere and the relocated head of
former priest's door. Interior: plain, narrow tower arch, chancel arch off-set
as for north aisle. Fittings: square font, C12, scraped; Jacobean altar table.
Monuments: in chancel; Counsell, 1671, slate tablet, frieze, apron, crest;
Wadden, 1682, text in cartouche flanked by pilasters with momenti mori carrying
entablature with crest, apron with putto; in nave: Boulter 1782, marble ground,
text below draped urn, by Brewer of Box.
Listing NGR: ST6664962317
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings