History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Corston, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3858 / 51°23'8"N

Longitude: -2.4398 / 2°26'23"W

OS Eastings: 369492

OS Northings: 165283

OS Grid: ST694652

Mapcode National: GBR JY.RT63

Mapcode Global: VH893.NFJJ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 1 February 1956

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320798

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32498

Location: Corston, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Corston

Built-Up Area: Corston (Bath and North East S

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Kelston

Listing Text

ST 66 NE CORSTON WELLS ROAD (south side)

3/80 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
1.2.56
II
G.V.
Anglican parish church. C12, altered C13 and C15 and C16; north aisle,
vestry, and porch and full restoration 1864-65 by B. Ferrey. Consists of west
tower, nave, north aisle and porch, and chancel. Coursed and snecked rubble
with freestone dressings; plain tiled roof with coped raised verges and cross
finials. Low west tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses with off-sets;
plain embattled parapet with pinnacles; set back octagonal ashlar spire;
single-light lancet openings to bell chamber; the west window on the second
stage is dated 1622, of 2-lights in ovolo moulded surrounds and with 4-centred
heads, under arched hood mould with square stops; 3-light restored first stage
window under relieving arch; C17 studded plank door under cambered head;
square stairtower to north-east. North aisle: 2 C19 Geometric style 2-light
windows; buttresses with off-sets. Porch: outer doorway in Early English
style with one order of columns which have foliate capitals; the inner
doorway is round-headed with a roll moulding. Chancel: north side has 3
cusped lancet windows in double hollow chamfered surrounds and priests' door
in similar surround; south windows are also cusped lancets but in single
hollow chamfered surrounds; all windows have deep embrasures and rere-arches;
C19 3-light stepped lancet east window. Nave: one window as chancel and
2 C19 3-light cusped windows. Projecting gabled south porch. Interior.
3 bay arcade of 1865. Font and pulpit are C19 and C20. Royal arms over
north door, dated 1660. 2 Harington monuments in the chancel: Benjamin, died
1711 and Mary, died 1732, both baroque marble tablets with pilasters, winged
skull and arms to Benjamin, gadrooned base to pilasters and arms to Mary.


Listing NGR: ST6949265283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.