This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4311 / 51°25'51"N
Longitude: -2.7746 / 2°46'28"W
OS Eastings: 346245
OS Northings: 170516
OS Grid: ST462705
Mapcode National: GBR JH.P0SK
Mapcode Global: VH7C8.V9J8
Entry Name: Butchers Arms
Listing Date: 11 January 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1320929
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33856
Location: Nailsea, North Somerset, BS48
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Nailsea
Built-Up Area: Nailsea
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
NAILSEA C.P CHAPEL BARTON (South side)
ST 47 SE
Inn, now Public House. Dated 1737 but much C19 work and C20 modification. Mainly
rendered rubble, pantile or double roman tile roof. A complex building now forming
a U with open court side to the north. Original range is at back with a date-
stone DSI or DSL 1737 between windows at first floor; to this is added a wing
projecting forward, right a long service wing to the left, and stable or out-
building in one storey forward left. Two storey, right-hand wing has plain gable
with stack, towards courtyard with 12-pane over 16 pane sashes and a door in
internal corner sharing a hipped hood with panelled door to return wing. Outer
face has added flat roofed one storey C20 block with door from Chapel Barton.
Back of early range has three 2-light glazing bar casements at each level, and a
projecting single storey brick wing which is not of special interest. Long wing
extends the 1737 block beyond a former gable stack, has flight of external steps
up to loft entry under a raking canopy: the back of this range has three large
20-pane C19 sashes to the upper level. Stable wing has central stable door and
overlight also garage doors. The right hand wing has a cellar. In an area of
considerable changes, this building still retains much of its historic exterior.
Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: ST4624570516
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings