History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East and West Courts and Linking South Boundary Wall of Formal Garden at Barrow Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barrow Gurney, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4136 / 51°24'49"N

Longitude: -2.7003 / 2°42'1"W

OS Eastings: 351392

OS Northings: 168524

OS Grid: ST513685

Mapcode National: GBR JL.Q1H8

Mapcode Global: VH88S.4QTN

Entry Name: East and West Courts and Linking South Boundary Wall of Formal Garden at Barrow Court

Listing Date: 19 January 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1320932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33880

Location: Barrow Gurney, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Barrow Gurney

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Flax Bourton

Listing Text

ST 56 NW BARROW GURNEY C.P. BARROW COURT LANE (west side)

3/12 East and West Courts and linking
south Boundary Wall of formal garden
at Barrow Court

G.V. II*

2 walled Courts and Garden Wall. Circa 1890 by F. Inigo Thomas. Squared and
coursed rubble to Courtyard walls, rubble to Garden Wall both with dressed stone
copings. Ashlar quoins and archways to Courts, iron railings. Each Court gives
access through round-arched entrances to the North Lawn and the cross axis path
along the north boundary of the Rose Garden. The arches to the East Court have
simple roll mouldings and hipped Lutyens-style caps; those to the West Court are
more ornate with foliage friezes, attached Ionic pilasters and bracketted keystones.
South wall of East Court has lean-to stone tiled canopy on carved wooden brackets
and east wall has inset ashlar panel with carved cartouche:and fruit and flower
swags in high relief, below which is a plank settle with hood and ashlar table on
large balusters. South and west walls of West Court have a continuous settle
sheltered by a wooden round-arched loggia of Jacobean derivation. Both courts
have ramped walls up to archways with simple iron railings between and corner
obelisk finials, also 12 steps down to Lawn. Linking Boundary Wall doubles as
churchyard wall on east and Rose Garden wall on south and west sides. These
features together with several others comprise a fine formal garden layout designed
by Thomas for Henry Martin Gibbs; it is included in the Historic Gardens
Register : Part 1 Avon. (Country Life, 18 January 1902, R. Cooke, West Country
Houses, 1957).


Listing NGR: ST5139268524

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.